How do you decide what products to use?

I like to try different things, but struggle sometimes with new products (bullets in particular) when there is limited information available on real world performance. Price is secondary to performance as long as it is within a reasonable range of similar options. I respect the opinions of many of the fine members on this forum. Although, I'm not easily influenced by self professed know it alls. Lastly, I truly appreciate when there is some reliable load data to reference for starting a new bullet experiment.

Samantha I hate to echo what has been said but ( in no specific order) cost, quality, availability, and performance. For me I look at some reviews to give some insight, but also what will it cost me to try something out myself. I have tried different bullets because a friend or family has had them and I got a few to see how they performed. For your business I would suggest doing some small quantities for testing. Not 50 rounds for $50, but 10 rounds for $12 or 25 rounds for $27 extra $2 for packaging. That would offer people the opportunity to try your bullets without a larger investment. Maybe since today's world seems to be influenced by social media, find people with a good following and ask them to do a unbiased performance review.
Thanks for your response. We have been wanting to create a section on our website for sample packs, so that is good feedback to hear from you. A lot of times we have 20-30 pcs at the end of each run. Since we dont mix lots, we end up having a bunch of partials on the shelf. Again, this is encouraging and I am going to push forward with that idea. Thanks again!

Thanks for your response. We have been wanting to create a section on our website for sample packs, so that is good feedback to hear from you. A lot of times we have 20-30 pcs at the end of each run. Since we dont mix lots, we end up having a bunch of partials on the shelf. Again, this is encouraging and I am going to push forward with that idea. Thanks again!
Please let us know if this takes place.

Performance and value. And work in a little bit of service and for me we have a winner. Performance and value, how I get there is some personal experience and others (that I trust and that is one reason I belong to this forum). I'm basically a hunter, but doesn't mean I don't like to shoot, obviously it's enjoyable and practice doesn't hurt. Don't mind paying premium prices for a bullet that performs well on game, to me that's just plain a must. But for punching paper and ringing steel value and Performance take on a different role, something more affordable and you can still get to shoot well. Service- what other are saying about their experience when info when needed, product availability, shipping times. And of course the treatment I personally receive if choosing to try the company. My comments probably add very little value. Wish you and your company the best.

1) Usually I hear of a product through word of mouth/ forum chats or an ad, then I'll do a search and see how it's working for people.
2) Good reviews from other users will lead me to purchase a product I've been interested in.
3) If something is working well for me I typically won't stray from the path unless there is a supply issue or if I feel there is a substantial performance gain to be had.

I've got some of your MTH bullets sitting on my shelf to be tested in a new cartridge soon. I will likely try some lazers as well once I have time.

I personally don't find a need for smaller than a 50 pack of bullets but to each their own.

I also don't overly consider the cost of an item unless it is priced significantly more than similar products. eg. Berger 379gr, even then I did still buy some to test. I know I don't stand for much of the community on this point.

CEB Has amazing rep with the ELR community, I think a way to break into the hunting crowd would be to do some demonstrations how your bullets perform on game. Likely some ballistic gel tests and possibly some slow mo animal harvesting.

For your business I would suggest doing some small quantities for testing. Not 50 rounds for $50, but 10 rounds for $12 or 25 rounds for $27 extra $2 for packaging. That would offer people the opportunity to try your bullets without a larger investment
By all means please follow through with this. I usually stick to my tried and true products but dislike having to buy a box of 50-100 bullets if I decide to try a different bullet.
Smaller packs will encourage people to give them a try and if they are good you will have repeat customers plus the word of mouth from satisfied customers on this and other forums.

I look at cost and references from people that I know and trust. A lot of people on this forum have earned my trust and respect which makes me try products mentioned here. Another major factor is easy availability. And for bullets- reloading data.
Reloading data, especially for mono is critical. Its not like we can use a "similar" bullet data as we do with traditonal bullets, or get on a company's webdiste and get their recomendation.

For me it's going to boil down to.

1-Performance AND availability, even if it is the best product in the world, but unobtainable when I need/want it, then it's worthless and I move on. (Looking at you Berger 215 hybrid)

2. Cost. I don't mind spending a bit more than "average" for something that fits into category 1^^ but I HATE paying an arm and a leg for shipping. That will deter me also.

3. Being able to speak with someone who is down to earth, and has a vast knowledge of their product, and is willing to go above and beyond to make sure the end user gets and uses the best tool/product for their specific job. (Looking at you hammer).

As far as trying a new product, or finding one, if I can't hop onto the website and find specific details of the product I want to use or call and talk to someone that answers the phone, I'll probably move on. I do have to give you praise @Samantha-CEB for the details of the projectiles that are on your website. It pushed me to try some of your single feed bullets, if there wouldn't have been detailed measurements I wouldn't have bothered with them. Unfortunately they didn't work out and I had to find something different, but I was more than happy to try them just on the fact of the details.

I'd love to be able to get sample packs of your bullets. There's been a couple times I've wound up sticking with the first one I tried just because I didn't want to spend $100 on a second box and was happy with the results. Being able to buy a handful so I can get an idea how they'll perform would be great.

I'm almost exclusively a handgun hunter. I have 338 Fed, 221 FB, 6 TCU, 357 Max, and 6.5CM barrels for one of my handguns. I look for bullets that can extend the effective range of a cartridge. Based on my experience so far Cutting Edge is the first (and usually last) place I look. I can usually get performance roughly equal to a traditional bullet in a rifle by using a more modern bullet in a handgun chambered for the same cartridge. Price isn't a primary concern for me, but I try not to waste money on bullets that won't get used. I don't mind spending $2/bullet, but I try to avoid spending that on a bunch of bullets that'll end up on a shelf.

Right now I'm using Cutting Edge MTH 338 200gr and Raptor 358 150gr bullets. I'd like to try the 160 grain 358 Raptors, but probably won't buy a whole box. Similarly I've been looking at 6mm Cutting Edge bullets, and will likely end up picking one or two types to try instead of trying everything that could work for me.

Last edited:
This is excellent feedback, thank you. I feel you on the shipping. It's a killer these days. They keep raising our rates each year which is frustrating.
And thanks for the feedback about our technical info. We do try to put as much info as we can on the website, but personally I feel it's a bit difficult to find. I would like to get it organized better!
In regards to you trying our single feeds, I certainly hope someone from our company helped you with any issues you were having.

Reloading data, especially for mono is critical. Its not like we can use a "similar" bullet data as we do with traditonal bullets, or get on a company's webdiste and get their recomendation.
We always recommend using any reputable reloading manual, find a bullet of similar weight and start. .2 lower than the recommended charge. This is a great starting point.
I completely understand about the loading manual. I agree, it's important.
It's a huge goal of ours. As you can imagine, this is going to take a while, especially with over 360 different bullets 😬

1) Usually I hear of a product through word of mouth/ forum chats or an ad, then I'll do a search and see how it's working for people.
2) Good reviews from other users will lead me to purchase a product I've been interested in.
3) If something is working well for me I typically won't stray from the path unless there is a supply issue or if I feel there is a substantial performance gain to be had.

I've got some of your MTH bullets sitting on my shelf to be tested in a new cartridge soon. I will likely try some lazers as well once I have time.

I personally don't find a need for smaller than a 50 pack of bullets but to each their own.

I also don't overly consider the cost of an item unless it is priced significantly more than similar products. eg. Berger 379gr, even then I did still buy some to test. I know I don't stand for much of the community on this point.

CEB Has amazing rep with the ELR community, I think a way to break into the hunting crowd would be to do some demonstrations how your bullets perform on game. Likely some ballistic gel tests and possibly some slow mo animal harvesting.
Awesome, thanks for your response.
To be honest, I believe thats why we have never done sample packs. People ask for 5 bullets, but we dont quite know how people can possibly do load development with 5 or even 10 bullets. But at the same time, I do understand they are pricy. Its tricky.

Yes, we have saturated the ELR community which is great, but first and foremost we are a hunting bullet company. Im finding it tough to figure out how to reach hunters. We do have some awesome high speed video of ballistics gel testing on our YouTube channel. Again, it's just figuring out how to get it out there that im struggling with!

The things I don't see mentioned so far is a clear description of the parameters of the bullet as in max/min effective velocity, penetration etc and a clear description of how you intend for the bullet to work on game. I've read a lot of complaints from people whose bullet worked exactly as designed but they didn't properly understand the design. Example of complaints ive read were where nonbonded cup and core bullets failed to go all the way through the animal even though the animal never moved due to internal damae..

Recent Posts