How Close Can I go to the Front of the Rail...?

Full Curl

Mounted a new scope this weekend on a 270WSM. Am I too close to the front of the rail as shown in the photos with the tapered portion of the front objective? The objective bell is also close to the barrel but not as close as it is to the front edge of the rail. I didn't measure either but wanted to check before shooting it. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 292
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 291
You might consider trimming the rail at the rear of the first notch.

Yes, a different optic might be mounted further forward & trimming could eliminate that option.

I'd rather have a little more room between the scope & rail; not that one would expect the scope to shift but....

Worst case would be having to buy a new rail if you someday mount a different scope.

Thanks guys. I should of cut it off before I had it cerakoted on this build, live and learn I guess. How come there's always that 1 or 2 things in every build! Ha. I even though of grinding off the top edge of that first notch to make some more room that would be hard to see. Ultimately, as long as I don't run into accuracy issues I'll shoot it as is and see what happens. Thank you.

That is too close in my opinion but it's easy to remedy. I have had a few similar situations. I typically grind/cut off enough to leave more room. On the small amount of exposed area you can just touch it up with paint, marker, whatever. The only person who will know is you. And you'll forget too after a little while. LOL

That is too close in my opinion but it's easy to remedy. I have had a few similar situations. I typically grind/cut off enough to leave more room. On the small amount of exposed area you can just touch it up with paint, marker, whatever. The only person who will know is you. And you'll forget too after a little while. LOL
Thanks!

Recent Posts