How Close Can I go to the Front of the Rail...?

Mounted a new scope this weekend on a 270WSM. Am I too close to the front of the rail as shown in the photos with the tapered portion of the front objective? The objective bell is also close to the barrel but not as close as it is to the front edge of the rail. I didn't measure either but wanted to check before shooting it. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Hey if those are low rings, bite the bullet and pick up a set of Med rings. Why worry about how close just come up a little.

Since someone asked for a photo showing the entire action... this was prior to cutting the end of the rail off.
Just for giggles can you post an overall picture of the scope and receiver? Cheers

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I had some time over the weekend so I got some tools out. Nothing like hacking on one of my favorite customs. LOL

Overall I think it turned out well and looks 100% better. I had some paint that was a close color match that I used very sparingly to just to cover up the bright metal cut. Thanks for all the replies. And since someone asked, I much prefer a low, tight cheek weld (and shoot better that way) so I go with low rings whenever I can make them work.

Thanks again for all the replies and information.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 44
Good job, looks nice. That's where I would have cut it. I wouldn't have left it alone, wouldn't have been able to sleep at night leaving it like it was was. I've cut several off and darkened the end with a permanent marker and you can't tell. More clearance (within reason) is better.

I had some time over the weekend so I got some tools out. Nothing like hacking on one of my favorite customs. LOL

Overall I think it turned out well and looks 100% better. I had some paint that was a close color match that I used very sparingly to just to cover up the bright metal cut. Thanks for all the replies. And since someone asked, I much prefer a low, tight cheek weld (and shoot better that way) so I go with low rings whenever I can make them work.

Thanks again for all the replies and information.
Just wait and see, the next scope you want to put on this rifle will need to go forward 2 notches, or more!

Last edited:
Good job, looks nice. That's where I would have cut it. I wouldn't have left it alone, wouldn't have been able to sleep at night leaving it like it was was. I've cut several off and darkened the end with a permanent marker and you can't tell. More clearance (within reason) is better.
Thanks!

Just wait and see, the next scope you want to put on this rifle will need to go forward 2 notches, or more!
Right! Good thing I've never had to mount one that far forward... at least not yet. I don't plan on swapping scopes out anytime soon on this rig but we all know how that goes :)

Last edited:

Recent Posts