How does one determine the height of the scope rings the need to buy?

DartonJager

I just purchased a Bushnell DMRIIi 3.5-21x50mm G2 and are trying to buy a set of Burris XTR Sig scope rings but are clueless as to what is the minimum but correct height model to buy. They are offered in 1" andd 1.5" heights and would like to buy the rings that will keep my scope as low as possible.
I"m guessing here I'll need the 1.5" rings.
I will be mounting the scope on both a Savage 10FCP and a Tikka T3.
I am hoping there is some rule of thumb that based on your rifles degree of bolt throw and diameter of the front objective of your scope including adding the thickness of the flip up scope caps you can determine what height your scope rings need to be. Am I correct or is there some other source of information I must use?
Lastly is it best I wait until I have the scope to use to determine the scope rings I need?
Thanks,
Art

Last edited:
With a 50mm objective you shouldn't have to worry too much about bolt throw. So you need a minimum of 26mm, or 1", of rise from your barrel (about where the objective of the scope will be). The height on the rings normally states how high they rise the centerline of the scope. So 1" rings, will rise the centerline of the scope 1" higher than whatever you're mounting it to. Either straight to the action or a rail. The action should be slightly higher than the top of your barrel, so 1" should be good in this case. But just measure everything out for yourself also.

DJ, call or email the ring manufacturer, give them your rifle make/model and the scope specs. Most will connect you with the correct rings. I know Talley provides the info and probably most others. Good luck

The style of base you use can make a big difference too. Here's an interesting approach that ARC recommends using pennies. It's at the bottom of the page in this link.

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/product/m10-scope-rings-7?category=3

You can use their "penny chart" to find the proper ring hight for their brand of rings, then just use that measurement to find the proper hight for whatever brand you end up using.

If your running a rail, you can almost* always go with low rings with anything 50mm or smaller, if there is an issue it normally shows itself in scopes with larger eye pieces as bolt clearance. If your using Burris xtr rings, your obviously mounting to a rail. On my rifle with a March 2.5-25x52, I am running a DNZ one piece mount with 21.5 MOA of cant, so no rail, and I just get away with their medium, with a #5 barrel.

From using those specific rings in a couple rigs, even a savage ultralight with a rail, I would get their lows, or the 1". Worst case scenario, you switch out for the mediums, and know you are as low as you can get.

The style of base you use can make a big difference too. Here's an interesting approach that ARC recommends using pennies. It's at the bottom of the page in this link.

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/product/m10-scope-rings-7?category=3

You can use their "penny chart" to find the proper ring hight for their brand of rings, then just use that measurement to find the proper hight for whatever brand you end up using.

stacking up under the scope is foolproof . I've never used pennies , but that's a great idea . I always grab two feeler gauges then I measure the thickness with my calipers .

I would get their lows, or the 1". Worst case scenario, you switch out for the mediums, and know you are as low as you can get.
^^^This!^^^
Lastly is it best I wait until I have the scope to use to determine the scope rings I need?
Thanks,
Art
IIWY, no. The way things are going now, get the component(s) as early as you can.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.