How close can flutes be to muzzle?

The difference between a 24" and a 26" barrel in an A5 stock would be undetectable to anyone that didn't have a gram scale handy.

Safety wise there is no harm in cutting a barrel off in the flutes. The barrel makers will not flute a barrel smaller than a #5 or #5.5 Krieger profile. The pressure is greatest in the chamber and progressively less the farther down the barrel. When you see a bulged barrel it most likely bulged from the compression of the gas in front of the projectile between the obstruction and the bullet. If you flute a barrel thinner than a Krieger #5.5 you are in dangerous territory. When they go they will split all the way to the action and very likely split the action.

Accuracy wise I can tell you that on lighter barrels as part of my barrel inspection before we mount a barrel is to slug it to feel for variations in bore diameter. On the smaller profiles you can feel where the flutes start and stop with my eyes closed. If a brake is threaded on too tight you can feel the constriction there too. I think this is part of why some guns gain accuracy when a brake is installed. If it's too tight it can upset the bullet and cause it too loose accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.