How big and how far?

1" MOA so 10" at 1000 yards.
Data mining/practice shoot a lot.
Practicing shoot all you want.
Challenge. 1st shot cold bore.

Did a little shooting mid morning before it got too hot to stay comfortable got some good velocity data and wound up with some decent groups and pretty good SD's as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    892.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    722.8 KB · Views: 97
I think your questions are great ones. What is the standard here. I guess everyone can make up the rules as they go? Personally i want to know that if i pull my rifle out of the case to shoot 1,000 yards, that it will be within that 1 MOA on the 1st shot. If not then I haven't done my work correctly to get there. With today's ballistic programs and equipment that should be a realistic expectation, right?
I have watched countless shooters at the local range pull up with a really nice build and clearly a small fortune invested..shoot round after round and i hear, "you hit low, aim higher", "too high", "left, give it some windage", "right, too much windage", "low again", and so on. After several hours of hitting everything but the intended target and a huge pile of spent brass, they finally get one to land. Jump up and down and yell out "yeah, now i have a verified 1K rifle, those elk are in trouble tomorrow if they come within 1,500 yards of me". (True story by the way, this happened the day before the opener of the late season elk hunt this year).
To me, shooting a rock in the guts is fine and i don't think it will run too far before expiring.o_O
But if the rifle will be used to shoot at an animal...The extra time and work needs to go into making sure the shot will land where you want on the 1st try, regardless of distance.

By the way... when you figure out where to collect those t-shirts, let me know so I can start earning one myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.