How big and how far?

Beelzebub

So I read in awe of people saying they got a hit at 1000 yards today. Awesome no doubt. I'm inspired to do the same?

But I have a handful of questions before I come back and post a video or pic of my 6-8-1000 yard hits.
#1. How big is the target I have to hit?

#2. Do I have to hit it cold bore or do I get a box of ammo to walk it in/on the target?

#3. Do I have to hit it 2 or 3 or more times in a row to be successful or just gong it one time out of 20?

#4. I will be shooting a 243, 6.5 CM, a 308 Winchester and a 338 Lapua. Do I get a T-shirt for each caliber (if I accomplish it) or just one size fits all and bragging rights?

My deer season is over in another week and I've filled a half dozen freezers this year, so now my interests will go to longer ranges than 630 yards. (my longest DRT deer kill this season).

Thanks in advance for any meaningful responses,
Beelz

I shot my 243AI hunting rifle in 1000yd F-class for fun. The vertical for 20 shots was no more then .5 MOA and horizontal 1.5 MOA, the wind was a bit challenging. People with dedicated rifles chambered in more appropriate cartridges often keep them all in a .5-.75 MOA circles -- ~7.5 inches at 1000 yards.

What is impressive depends on your equipment and purpose.

You got to start somewhere. Start with good ammo and go shoot, you'll quickly see where you and your equipment is lacking.

Ps. Don't shoot a super hot barrel.

I personally think you should shoot whatever size target you want and shoot it as often as you can. The more you practice the the easier it will get and the smaller your groups will get. When I first started shooting long range I thought a thousand yards was a long way, now I can consistently hit a 16" plate at 1 mile on calm days. Once you start you will just want to keep shooting farther. Good luck and have fun.

Rem 700 VLS 243, Rem Mod 7 with E R Shaw 1.25" 6.5 CM, Savage 10 in 308 and Savage 112 M/T 338 lapua.

243 will shoot 3 shot groups under .20". Cm will shoot -.30" 308 .5 or better and same with Lapua. All at 100 yards of course.

I have shot 1.3" groups with the 243 at 450 yards and 5" groups at 600 with the Lapua.

Getting a long place to shoot around here is really hard to do. NW FL..

Attachments

• 15665585_689410567900002_651182883798269510_n.jpg
    15665585_689410567900002_651182883798269510_n.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 137
  • P1000097.JPG
    P1000097.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
A good size is a 10" gong target. Hitting it at all is a challenge when you first start but you'll realize what you need to upgrade. Even if it's yourself that needs upgraded with practice! For me to consider for myself a "hit" on a target at 1000 yards it has to be within 10 shots. I don't do F class but I believe they're allowed 2 sighting shots or something like that, so hitting the target on the 3rd shot would be considered great. As you get better 2nd shot and 1st shot hits will get more common. Just don't stop practicing! If you reload, take the time to measure the powder for every case, sort them by weight, check the OAL on every round. The more consistent the ammo, the more accurate you are likely to be able to shoot. However, if your gun shoots 1 moa or better at 100 yards, most likely the challenge will be more about personal practice than any equipment you can buy. Low Standard deviation and extreme spread are also much more important with 1000 yard shooting than 100 yard, so if possible chrono your rounds.

But.... everyone's gotta start somewhere! Just start shooting, when your barrel gets hot go get a drink or check your targets or find something too it cools. Just practice and it'll get easier and easier.

You are asking all the right questions. You will hear all kinds of stories on the boards, but the info you are asking is normally left out. No indication as to how big the target was; whether it was a cold bore, or only after five previous shots were lobbed at it like artillery; or that the three shot group was the best of 10 three shot groups that were fired. In the end - none of it matters. Just remember: you are competing against yourself. Every time you pull the trigger, you are learning. Ignore what others say they are doing and focus on yourself. Otherwise, you will go nuts chasing results that may not be as represented. After you have practiced some, go watch or participate in some long range shooting competitions to see what is really being done and with what.

That's why I didn't want to post a picture of a locomotive I just shot at 1000 yards and
say I got it on my 4th day of trying. I know that sounds a bit "out there" but if I can't do it "to standard" then I can't brag about it. I love to brag but I like to be able to back it up when someone who knows what I'm bragging about asks questions.

With things being equal at 100 yards and 1000 yards then a rifle that shoots 1 MOA at 100 should be able to stay relatively close to 10" at 1000. I feel like I can/do regularly shoot a 8" gong at 600 with relative ease. If my load data and scope dope hold true then a man size target or B-27 target at 1000 shoot not be hard if the wind is calm and it would be because I am having to shoot between rows of 30 year old pines that have been thinned twice.

thanks for your input. Will try to update this thread soon with pix or video.

B

It's up to you really, but once you verify your dope it should be repeatable. If you want 1st round hits get a kestrel so you can dope the air density and wind.
I have an 18" gong at 1k, with fresh paint I can see my hits and I strive for 1st round center hits. I'm going to add a 6" gong this summer to better represent the vitals of an animal.
Since you listed your rifles, just a suggestion, if you load 215bergers, 208eldm, or the new 200gr smk, in your savage 308, 42gr of varget will get you close to 2500fps. Run the dope, but it'll out perform your creed at 1k

Last edited:
178's are the heaviest I've ever shot in my 308, but it really does like them. .5" and under are normal. Thanks for the load data. Are you running these as single shot rounds almost to the lands or to magazine length?

Last edited:
178's are the heaviest I've ever shot in my 308, but it really does like them. .5" and under are normal. Thanks for the load data. Are you running these as single shot rounds almost to the lands or to magazine length?
Single shot in my rem 700. 2.95" with 200gr eldx, which is .015" off the lands. With the longer savage mag you might be able to fit them in your mag?

So I read in awe of people saying they got a hit at 1000 yards today. Awesome no doubt. I'm inspired to do the same?

But I have a handful of questions before I come back and post a video or pic of my 6-8-1000 yard hits.
#1. How big is the target I have to hit?

#2. Do I have to hit it cold bore or do I get a box of ammo to walk it in/on the target?

#3. Do I have to hit it 2 or 3 or more times in a row to be successful or just gong it one time out of 20?

#4. I will be shooting a 243, 6.5 CM, a 308 Winchester and a 338 Lapua. Do I get a T-shirt for each caliber (if I accomplish it) or just one size fits all and bragging rights?

My deer season is over in another week and I've filled a half dozen freezers this year, so now my interests will go to longer ranges than 630 yards. (my longest DRT deer kill this season).

Thanks in advance for any meaningful responses,
Beelz

As for target size, I would personally get the largest Ar-500 target you can afford. (Just note that they do get heavy) I personally run a 24" square 1/4" thick. I rattle can the whole thing white, with an orange dot in the center. (Usually just use and old Copenhagen can or sticky note as a stencil)... the reason I like such a big target is that I feel it cuts down on the learning curve. There is nothing more frustrating than being off target and not being able to see your hits (not knowing if you're hi, low, left, right, etc... I shoot in a lot of rolling country where it's tough to find a good backstop where off target hits will register)

As for the cartridges you listed, i would personally start with the CM. Having a relatively high BC and low recoil (so you can spot your own shots) should help minimize the learning curve. Once you get that nailed down, the lapua will make consistent hits that much easier as long as you can handle recoil well.

Chances are that you'll start learning by walking shots into the bull, and that's ok. (Part of that is due to calibrating scope, mv, and learning that the wind may be doing something completely different down range.) It shouldn't take long after that make consistent first round, repeatable hits in decent conditions as long as you're using the appropriate tools to do so.

For hunting at those distances, I won't shoot unless I am **** postive I will hit exactly where I'm aiming the first round. Knowing when not to shoot (weather conditions) is as important as anything else.

Couple things to lessen the learning curve:
-As mentioned a kestrel, ballistic program, and good range finder are an absolute must in my mind. ( Data readings and input are just as important, if not more critical, than how well a guy can get behind the gun and pull the trigger.)
-A good scope with reliable tracking is absolutely essential. (I also prefer having a moa/mil reticle... even if you dial for everything, being able use the reticle to measure how far off the bull you are while learning helps a lot.)
-Good bipod and rear bag help
-Quality trigger set on the lighter side (I prefer 1lb, but there are a lot of opinions on this)

Anymore, with the proper equipment and technology in capable hands, consistent first round hits inside of 1 moa at 1,000 are very doable. The only downside is that the long range game can cost a guy some $$$.

totally agree on bigger back stop and smaller target. I do that with a good piece of cardboard at 600 when I'm trying to verify scope dope.

All but one of 9 scopes is MOA/MIL. I never use them as such, but they are. I've been hunting out of the same condos for 18 years. When I target practice in the late summer and fall all of my targets are known distances to within a yard. I have pulled tapes and rolled wheels time and time again to make sure.

It's legal to hunt over bait in FL and I do. Corn piles go right next to the stobb where the targets were. I killed 23 deer this year Closest was 430 yards. Of all 23, only 2 made 20 steps and perished. Other 21 went down tail first. I don't hunt at more than 650.

The only thing I will shoot at without hesitation is a coyote or bobcat. Gonna shoot at them until they are either in the woods or I'm out of ammo. Fawn killers and turkey killers gotta go.

The 243 and 6.5 both have timney triggers at about 1# Savages have the accu xxx set at about a pound except the Lapua. It is set at 2#

All rifles have great brakes on them so recoil isn't much of a factor. Except maybe the Lapua.

I use several different home made mechanical/adjustable rests. 2x2x1/4" tube filled with lead. Rock solid

This is an outside view of my biggest condo.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    959.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    647.8 KB · Views: 184
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts