How Far Is It?

You guys have been quite patient. Here it is:

I have had a great time with Dan this week. I has been a joy to watch Dan experience a number of firsts and to meet and spend some time with his grandfather. Dan's commitment to precision accuracy at longer distances has caused me to want to hunt with him for some time. This October has made that desire a reality. Even though I have several unfilled tags, I did not even bring any of my SP's along until today, and it was never uncased. I had mentioned to Dan before he came out, that if he was willing, I wanted to mount a FFP Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 with the MLR reticle on "Lil' Monster" and stretch its legs some on its first trip to Wyoming.

Lil' Monster is a center-grip XP-100 built by Kirby Allen (APS/Allen Precision Shooting) chambered in 7mm-270WSM. Barrel is a 17" Lilja 1-9 twist with one of Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge Brakes. I also said, that, if he was willing I would like to use his XP for a LR antelope if the circumstances allowed.

First, I wanted Dan to get a lot of hunting in. Dan is an excellent shooter, but I will let him chime in when he is ready. Dan filled all of his tags by Wednesday, so we went back out to the ranch today, for his first shooting beyond 1K on steel and of course some pd's. From the prone position, Dan got on the steel quickly and it was fun watching him hammer steel with the 162 A-Max's. He started working on some dogs beyond 1K (from 1,047-1067 yards) as well and got so close several times I was shocked it missed, as I watched the vapor trail homing in on the dog. After awhile Dan felt the barrel and it was getting warm. He now understands how easy it would be to fry a throat shooting prairie dogs.

During Dan's shooting at prairie dogs a buck antelope crosses in front of us about 4-500 yards away coming from the left and moving right. Not a big one, but the remark was made about filling a tag, and I said something of the nature that unless he moved out to where he was shooting dogs I wasn't interested. Wouldn't you know it, that buck turned shortly and began heading south in the general direction of this particular prairie dog Dan was shooting at, this took a period of time, of which a part of it was allowing Lil' Monster time to cool down. For those of you who have seen this XP shoot or shot it yourself, it has a history of small groups @ 400-500 yards on a regular basis. This buck for some unknown reason to us was determined to head almost directly toward the mound where Dan had been shooting.

At this distance, since I am not a master at reading conditions, I will take a sighter shot to make sure the drop and drift are correct. Then, the spotter (Dan) will give me correction in MOA, since that is the language the scope understands and I do as well. The wind had picked up some from the last time Dan had shot, but still less than 10mph, so I had already added more "right wind." The distance was shorter than the prairie dog, but further than the steel set up at 1006 yards. When I am shooting on my own, I do all of this myself, but at this distance I wouldn't consider it. With a two man team spotter/shooter, the shooter simply does what the spotter tells him to do and simply focuses on making sure the trigger is released in such a way to where you let the gun (in this case Dan's Lil' Monster) do the work. Communicating in MOA, is new to Dan, but he did a great job. I was very comfortable with Dan being in the spotter role, as he is good at communicating in field conditions.
It took more than one spotting shot to get dialed in, but that 162 A-Max "pole-axed" (Dan's statement @ the shot) the buck with a high shoulder shot at 1,037 yards, and he went down fast. The buck did require to be finished off, but the high shoulder shot made him totally immovable.

1037DE2.jpg

Here is another pic that shows more of what we used.
Burris Tri-pod (really like this and have used for a year plus now), and Leupold 12x40 spotting scope. I bought a 12-40 the first year they came out and upgraded to the HD version 2 years ago. Swaro LRF mounted on a Slik 450G tri-pod. Harris Bi-pod (Swivel version).

1037Gear.jpg

Last edited:
Great story and great shot, Ernie! I just saw this post and was reading through it ready to add my guess of about 750. Man, was I off! Again, good work! jon

Looks like sscoyote is the closest with guess at 1036 to 1038! :DGood job! I was long by about 60 yards.

Hey Ernie, what's he win????:rolleyes: OOOOH.... a trip out west with a guided hunt using your XP!! Whatcha think???

Just messing with you, nice hunt and shot.

Tank

Looks like sscoyote is the closest with guess at 1036 to 1038! :DGood job! I was long by about 60 yards.

Hey Ernie, what's he win????:rolleyes: OOOOH.... a trip out west with a guided hunt using your XP!! Whatcha think???

Just messing with you, nice hunt and shot.

Tank

Yes, I think Steve did win a prize. He can help me pack out my next animal. But he would probably want to use his own XP's:D

Steve is a ringer.
He knew the distance, and posted that just to throw people off.
And, that XP I used is not mine. It is Dan's, and it is currently on its way back to its home in PA.

I am waiting currently for my fresh 7mm 1-9 twist barrel to come (7mm Dakota), and I am waiting for Kirby to finish up a LR XP in a larger caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.