Hornady oal guage & 5/16-36 tap ??

Ouch I payed to much then :rolleyes: I'm glad you found a good deal though. I had to let my step dad take it to his work and fix my shell up . He runs a monarch . Keep us informed on what tools you use to modify your cases and good luck .

BB

Well, I don't feel like concentricity is that big of an issue so I'll drill with the 7mm tap drill in my drill press and hand tap. If I had a Wilson Case Trimmer I'd use the collet type shell holder for it to hang on to the case while drilling but I haven't broken down and bought one yet, so I'm still contemplating how to hang onto the cartridge for the drilling op. I've got several options and if I have too a friend has a little Shop Smith bench top Lathe/Mill combo that I have access to. I've found that A9 works good as a cutting fluid for use on brass.

Well, I don't feel like concentricity is that big of an issue so I'll drill with the 7mm tap drill in my drill press and hand tap. If I had a Wilson Case Trimmer I'd use the collet type shell holder for it to hang on to the case while drilling but I haven't broken down and bought one yet, so I'm still contemplating how to hang onto the cartridge for the drilling op. I've got several options and if I have too a friend has a little Shop Smith bench top Lathe/Mill combo that I have access to. I've found that A9 works good as a cutting fluid for use on brass.

I probably should just keep this one to myself but oh well i'll give everyone a good laugh. I tried to modify my case with my cordless dewalt drill in one hand and the shell case in my other hand , needless to say my fingers got twisted up a little . As you can see i'm no machinest . My step dad mentioned something about a fluid that they use on brass at his shop but i can't remeber the name of it.

BB

I probably should just keep this one to myself but oh well i'll give everyone a good laugh. I tried to modify my case with my cordless dewalt drill in one hand and the shell case in my other hand , needless to say my fingers got twisted up a little . As you can see i'm no machinest . My step dad mentioned something about a fluid that they use on brass at his shop but i can't remeber the name of it.

BB

Hmmmmmm...sounds painful.

I have the tap and have modded some cases successful and some not . It is easy to get it slightly canted. As many on here know alot of the cases they supply are .005 to .007 short of a fired case. So I gave up and went Sinclair tool,which is simple and many make a copy themself with a cleaning rod.

I realize this is an old thread, but this is still valid. If you have a bolt rifle, save yourself the money and time and do it this way. No special tools needed and is much more accurate, precise and repeatable than any other method I have tried, including the Sinclair tool and the Hornady tool.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.