Hornady oal guage & 5/16-36 tap ??

bigbuck

I called Hornady and asked them what size tap I would need to thread and tap my own brass and the tech. said 5/16-36 he also went on to say it would cost $90.00 . Seems like I've read in the past that it didn't cost someone that much . So can you tell me were to buy this tap and if you have bought one already what did it cost you ? Thanks for any help.

BigBuck

This place has them for $8.50.

Special pitch taps - sizes to 1/2 inch - 1000's of specials in stock and most custom taps made in 24 hours. - special threads.

And this place for $7.00

Inch/Standard Special Thread Taps

I've purchased from both places. They will get you on shipping but will still be cheaper than MSC.

Thanks geargrinder i'll check them out . Did you order a special drill bit for this size tap? If so could you tell me the size I need to order ? Thanks again for everyone's help.

BigBuck

I just talked to victor machine and I think I shot myself in the FOOT . After I explained to him what I was doing with the tap and how I didn't want to buy every caliber rifle from Hornady he says understand we have a $25.00 order minimun and then directed me to a chart to find out what I need. Oh well I'll try the next place:)

BigBuck

Huh, I think a guy could make a tool that used normal threads fairly easy. Maybe when I get some time I should try making one. I can see that using a fire case from your chamber would be more accurate.

bigbuck- If you get stuck with a minimun order place being your only option just buy 3 or 4 of them how ever many you need to make the order. Then sell the extra ones on here. I'd be willing to buy one!

Huh, I think a guy could make a tool that used normal threads fairly easy. Maybe when I get some time I should try making one. I can see that using a fire case from your chamber would be more accurate.

Yes NF 5/16-24 would be sufficient don't know why they went with the off thread pitch unless it was to discourage folks from making their own cases. Oh and make the entire thing from METAL. The Hornady tool has a plastic inner push rod that dimples the first time you use the thumb screw on it making it rather difficult to take an average of 3 measurements cuz they all come out the same, should have used 1/8" SS round stock. I hate it when someone takes a great idea for a tool and goes cheapo on the materials they manufacture it from. Also, the Hornady tool features a sharp corner at the base of the thread relief which tends stress fracture with repeated use. When you make yours make sure to leave a small radius in that corner. If it is worth making make it right folks!

Bigbuck, check the yellow pages for a machine tool supply house. There is bound to be one somewhere nearby and if they don't have the tap/tap drill combo in stock order it through them and they will absorb the majority of the minimum order cost. You may pay a little more but won't buy a bunch of taps you don't need.

Yes NF 5/16-24 would be sufficient don't know why they went with the off thread pitch unless it was to discourage folks from making their own cases. Oh and make the entire thing from METAL. The Hornady tool has a plastic inner push rod that dimples the first time you use the thumb screw on it making it rather difficult to take an average of 3 measurements cuz they all come out the same, should have used 1/8" SS round stock. I hate it when someone takes a great idea for a tool and goes cheapo on the materials they manufacture it from. Also, the Hornady tool features a sharp corner at the base of the thread relief which tends stress fracture with repeated use. When you make yours make sure to leave a small radius in that corner. If it is worth making make it right folks!

Bigbuck, check the yellow pages for a machine tool supply house. There is bound to be one somewhere nearby and if they don't have the tap/tap drill combo in stock order it through them and they will absorb the majority of the minimum order cost. You may pay a little more but won't buy a bunch of taps you don't need.

fj40mojo, I called my step dad and asked him if his place of work had it and they said nope . Now he runs a Monarc and their is about 5 other manual lathes they have a huge selection of tools/taps/ I just knew they had it but they don't neither does anyone near me have it they just look at me real funny when I ask them about it. I feel like HORNADY used this on purpose maybe?? I'm going to get it know matter what it costs so I want have to give them 11.00 and watch the brown truck over and over:rolleyes:

IOWABOY Thats a good ideah but the problem is the tap was going to be $20.06 If I decide to go that route I'll HOLLER at ya :)

Good evening everyone and Thanks for yalls help:cool:

BigBuck

bigngreen, I just ordered one from MSC Hornady said $90.00 but I got one for $32.90 that includes shipping. kind of high for a itty bitty tap but it's worth it to me to be able to Tap my own fire formed brass and not have to waite for the UPS truck every time:)

Thanks everyone for the help.

BigBuck

I bought the tap and tap drill combo from Idaho Machinery and Supply in Meridian ID for $12.62 tax included. PM me if you want cases made. :D

I bought the tap and tap drill combo from Idaho Machinery and Supply in Meridian ID for $12.62 tax included. PM me if you want cases made. :D

Ouch I payed to much then :rolleyes: I'm glad you found a good deal though. I had to let my step dad take it to his work and fix my shell up . He runs a monarch . Keep us informed on what tools you use to modify your cases and good luck .

BB

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.