Hornady ELD-X 162 grain issues.

As mentioned, seating depth seems critical for the ELDX. I've had poor performing groups that straightened out with more seating depth. good luck

Has anyone else experienced poor accuracy in 7mm Remington magnum using these bullets? I have tried RL-22 and H1000 powders. My twist rate is 1-9 and 26 inch barrel
I shots that bullet in my 7mm RM. twist is 8.44 ,,, H4831,,, CCI 250,,, 1/2 MOA OR BETTER,,, ALSO ABOUT .020" jump

My take is the ELDX is neither fish nor fowl; if your rifle shoots them well then great; but remember they re still a cup and core bullet. At ranges beyond 200-300 yds I m not convinced that a heavy for caliber ELDM isn't just as good. If you really need a stout bullet for larger game or closer ranges then a partition, bonded bullet (interbond, accubond) or a Barnes would be more appropriate IMO.

After 50 years of reloading and at my advanced age I just like a bullet that will 'tune easily'; if it won't then try a different one.

A gunsmith friend says ' don't waste a bunch of time, components and incur frustration trying to get a rifle to shoot a bullet it doesn't like' !! Good advice in my mind.

I bought some 162 ELDX a month or so ago but have not shot them yet. I had such good luck with Berger 168 VLD with Retumbo . Was going to try H1000. Thought might be better. Now I have so many new powders like RL33 RL26 N570 565 and 560 . IMR 8133 and 7977 in overwhelmed and not enough time. Not even counting new bullets coming out all the time. I still have to try my 143 gr. Hammers in 7 Rem mag. How do you guys find the time to do it ??? I've spent too much time on my 300 Rum for years and then the little cartridge the could... you know, that one. Then 6.5 PRC. My poor 7 mag is collecting dust. Maybe another 4.5 yrs. I can fully retire !

Last edited:
When I first heard about the eldx bullets I ran out and bought 500 thinking they are half the price of accubonds I'll give them a try. But my 300 rum hated them I spent to much time on them already so now I have some paper weights

When I first heard about the eldx bullets I ran out and bought 500 thinking they are half the price of accubonds I'll give them a try. But my 300 rum hated them I spent to much time on them already so now I have some paper weights
My 300 RUM doesn't really like them either. Accubonds shoot much better for me, and do a superior job on game as well.

I tried a box of the 30 Cal. 178 ELD-X and a box of .264 Cal 143 ELD-X. Shot both boxes, never got close to a working load. I sorted them by weight and bearing surface and they were all over the map. Seems like 50% get them to shot and 50% don't. Seems like flipping a coin to see if they will work or not in any particular rifle.
Haven't tried the ELD-M yet, but would like to. Won't even look at the ELD-X anymore.

Here's my last group with 7mm ELD-X using Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo. This has been typical of my experience with this ammo. I'm not by any means a great shooter, and do not hand load. Others could make it perform better. We took a nice ibex with it shortly after this at over 400 yards. By the way, that impact off to the right of the target on the cardboard was not mine!

Kq4QVC_MWeBP1BxZSUiCaDSLuD5wnLgJjc4akKj9b50njIevrOjmdzVfop0SbYwX71OjES-kPhblRlM1hfL-evdWqNuguJNGhXpKDOPWxxnnA1MkbKIfLp362eDzBW2uQmKy6zt83bZ8v2kbTnqAaFR5vI_q0zUGxi4rKXg96VGlO6pGzeFNBma36B5QaqoZ9NXJy55wR2mdkQ3Tmpf-kabArzgo77jOclRTX-RhNBzWOnoYCEsZIw7FsvmhJ6DcUrbDY3_0tvcJ1lkUfn3N3ifqTuuBCHUQAfzr8QQ0hcVloW062l_E8OHrSGYxqW5CP2inlOsnBOuB4YSb5dgwKGc2I8ByZ3v2wuQROSEhH3ohypK5J8-UdTW5np6PxDWpP6IvIZW93VrH93Vg6LSoScWgFaYajob-HiuVdAIoJ4-vti1vP_97Imv5QdJLH6VrXABR6GdUwrFdVg4THhCotzvceweP_W1KFNIS-pzh3mrA61AK69Vz3BMYwb9ajEyCRCW_c81aRNQGizYVx0i48mNgRAaA38Mv6K1wvn_gI5xYQ8koEXpRrgK1jrDUeuWuFDA6eYzdkrYWHxyrhiqmsDMO9tXGNz7i4yTMz4CzNTOjoPJaoP32cXQR36nDQXTdt0PospoSDbcxcrrOSyhgFhTeKWBOdGo=w960-h1280-no

That's a huge variation.
Yes, that's why I finally conceded and gave up on them. Ironically, I really wanted to make them work because they are quite a bit cheaper than the Bergers. I could have bought a really nice rifle for what I spent. Opps! I guess that backfired!

I don't have anything against the bullets and I'm happy for those that have good luck with them. They just didn't work in my rifle.

Thank guys for all of the reply's. I am giving them up and moving on to something else. The recommended twist rates for that bullet is a 1-9.5 twist so I can see how some rifles shoot them better then others. Thinking of trying the Berger 175 grain elite hunters. Those bullets are better suited for my twist rate. I am open to suggestions if anyone has a pet load in any other bullet I will try it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.