Hornady Brass Opinions

General RE LEE

Don't get me wrong, Lapua brass is good stuff. With that said, 41.5 grains H4350, CCI BR-2s, 140 or 147 ELDMs and an accurate Tikka CTR consistently shoots under a minute with Hornady brass.

I've found Hornady brass to size and anneal well, and is relatively easy to work with.

Anyone else run Hornady brass? I'll keep my Lapua and Alpha Munitions, but Hornady isn't bad either.

Don't get me wrong, Lapua brass is good stuff. With that said, 41.5 grains H4350, CCI BR-2s, 140 or 147 ELDMs and an accurate Tikka CTR consistently shoots under a minute with Hornady brass.

I've found Hornady brass to size and anneal well, and is relatively easy to work with.

Anyone else run Hornady brass? I'll keep my Lapua and Alpha Munitions, but Hornady isn't bad either.
I agree with your top choices. Lapua is number one and Apha a close second and Peterson belted mag brass is second to none. Plus Norma, ADG and Starline are making good brass recently as well.
I've never had any bad experiences with Hornady and For many cartridges it's hornady or nothing. A year or so back, I bought 200 rounds of hornady 6ARC ammo just to get the brass for midrange competition. I got 16 firings before the primer pocket loosened up. Definitely nothing wrong with It.

Personally, I would rather run Remington than Hornady. In fact, when I was going for a hunt in Africa with my son, I used Remington for my rifle, Nosler for my son's and left the Hornady home. Personal opinion. But use what you have
Just a note, measure the capacity of what you use, in case you need to switch, you will have ano idea which way to go.
I do prefer premium, but if I can't get what I want, H is my last choice

IMO Hornady is fine for range brass, not something I'd work up a load for hunting or a match with personally. I stick with ADG #1 and Lapua #2 in long action, Alpha in short action. Would love to see some Alpha long action brass!

Let's be honest though, plenty of people reload hornday brass for matches and hunting without any issue. I am just a snob when it comes to reloading. I am what I am.

Last edited:
I'd take hornady over federal, Remington, Nosler (that is the most overpriced overrated crap brass I've tried), and any newer production Winchester. It's not better to me than PPU brass but is generally more expensive. Older Winchester brass (pre 2000?) is AWESOME. 😎

Obviously it's not in the same league as Peterson, lapua, alpha, adg…and Norma is definitely a cut or two above hornady as well. Norma isn't as tough as Lapua for sure, but it is some of the most CONSISTENT brass on earth and I love it.

I will say, hornady would never be my first choice and I don't think it's better enough than the other basic brands to justify any price increase over them. But if it was what was available I'd never turn my nose up at it. So long as it's understood it is not premium brass regardless of what their marketing team says, I'm good with it.

Foil Deodorant GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Pretty sure it's made of this…

The ONLY Hornady brass I run is 416 Rigby to form my wildcats into.
The only other brass easily obtainable for me is Norma and it doesn't hold up well to the pressure I am running, the Hornady brass does, but it needs frequent annealing to stay consistent.
The only other brass made by Hornady I have is Frontier headstamped 300WM. It seems to be ok…

Cheers.

I have often read that Hornady brass wasn't very good. That certainly wasn't the case for me. I've used it in two of my rifles, custom 25/06 and Rem 700 22/250 VSF with great results and long case life. As @Calvin45 posted I would take it over Nosler any day. Some of the worst expensive garbage brass I have ever used. JME

I've got some Hornady brass on a test in 30-06 and 300 WBY. 30-06 is factory loaded ammo. 300 Wby was new old manufacture brass I picked up.Six firings on the 06 brass, neck sized only. Going to do a FL sizing this round and bump shoulder .001. Case web measured at the extractor groove has expanded .0004 so far. 300 Wby has two firings neck sized once, case belt expanded .0007 first firing. The 30-06 brass seems harder when neck trimming it than some Hornady I've used in the past. Primers pockets are still tight, going to up the load a bit on this loading. Think I'll anneal after this firing. Going to load a moderate load in the Weatherby this loading. Both rifles are shooting great with these loadings