Hornady 7MM 162 Grain A-Max

hillbillybear

I just picked up some of the 162 grain Hornady A-Max to try in my .280 Ackley Improved and 7MM Remington Magnum.

Has anyone tried this bullet in these (or similar) calibers? Also, has anybody tried this bullet on deer?

I shot them out of my 7wsm pistol(2800fps), I wouldn't recomend them for anything close. I shot a broadside antelope at 370ish with one. the entrance was right behind the sholder and both rear quarters were ruined. I won't ever use them on any animal again! they were accurate though...

I use them in my 7mm mag. I push them at 3060 fps using ADI2217/H1000.
So far I have taken 3 red deer (358, 358 and 386 yds) a pig (383yds) and a fallow deer (638 yds).
All have been 1 shot kills DRT! All shots were high shoulder shots and meat wastage was no worse then other bullets, in some cases less.
When I was first trying this load I shot several feral goats at around 200 yds. All were impressive kills, although at this range they often did not exit.
I use 160 accubonds inside 350 yds and the 162 a-max past 350 yds, this has worked well for me.

I would definetly recommend them at ranges past 350 yds.

Stu.

They're very accurate in my wsm.

They've smoked every deer I've shot from 100 to 500yds. I'm glad to hear they're working on high shoulder shots I've personally tried to stay away from the shoulder with these bullets.

I have used them in my 280AI, they work really well. shoot 4/6MOA at 600 yards travelling at 2930fps.

Have used them on red stags at 25-500 yards and on goats at 50-1000yards and have had excellent success! most just drop on the spot i think the worst ive had is one travelled about 20 meters befor dieing. cant complain really!

they come highly recommended!

Very accurate at 3000fps in my 7RM behind RL22. I've killed a couple whitetail with them inside 100yds. One was shot behind the ear, the other in the left eye.

They are very accurate, can't comment on meat damage in my experience with the bullet.

The only bullet I've found that is as accurate in my 7RM is the 160AB

AJ

I am a very big fan of the A-Max. I use them in 7mm Rem. Mag, 30:06 and 308. The all give me superb accuracy, and I have taken many whitetails with them. I have hit deer from most every angle except the extreme rear and they all pretty much droped on the spot. I usually get an exit and yes there is often a lot of tissue damage. Usually on a good broadside shot, you are really not loosing any noticable amount of meat , but if you cant tolorate the substantial tissue damage, I would choose something else.

Has anyone pushed these out of a 7-08 with any success? If so what kind of results did you get in terms of accuracy & how far? any load, barrel length info would be appreciated. what would be considered max range on whitetail with this combo? The reason I'm asking is I'm starting to collect parts for a 7-08 build that I'd like to punch paper out to 1k with & use as a mid range whitetail rifle out to 6-700 yard range.

The 162gr A-Max works quite well when fired from my 7STW. Accuracy is very good and terminal performance is impressive. All of my shots on whitetails have been either broadside or high shoulder shots. Broadside shots leave silver dollar size exit holes and deer drop within 20-40 yards. Shoulder shots drop deer DRT and rarely exit. It you like front shoulder meat than I'd avoid the shoulder shot. But....... if you want a deer to drop where he is standing than the shoulder shot is very effective with the A-Max.

Just my 2 cents.

I have used this bullet in a 7mm/08 , Rem. 700 heavy barrel varmit rifle and accuracy was easily under 1/2 moa at 2700 fps. I feel the accuracy was there for the extended range you want for whitetail deer, but the very substantial bullet drop would certainly call for much more skill than I possess.

Last edited:
I have used them in my RUM and they are very accurate! I have used them on long shots on animals and they work great but on a few things I have shot inside of 400yds out of that gun if you were to make a bad shot I think you might want something that would hold together a little better. But out of a 280ai I think they would work just fine.

Nathan Foster of Terminal Ballistics Research rates the 162 A-Max as one of the best long range hunting bullets in the 7x57mm Mauser, for thin skinned game. It's very similar to a Berger VLD.

In my CZ 550 7x57 I'm getting sub-MOA accuracy with IMR 4064 seated 0.010" off the lands.

140 GameKing is just as accurate in my rifle, so the A-Max is only useful for really long shots.

Nathan's view is based as a pro hunter and seeing it used extensively in New Zealand. If an A-Max isn't any good, then a Berger VLD shouldn't be any good as they are very similar, except the price.

If I get a shot at a mule deer past 300 yards, the GameKing will be replaced by the A-Max, but I hope to get closer than 300 yards so I can use a neck shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.