Hornady 6.5C 143 ELD-X performance issues

I've seen them run 300 yards uphill with their heart completely destroyed. Some animals have an unbelievable will to live, and bullet choice isn't going to change that. No bullet is going to make a liver shot a quick kill. You can shoot them with a 458 Lott if you want to, and then they will be easier to find if you gut shoot them. But, we did get to the root of the problem..... you gut shot a deer and you're blaming a bullet for it's performance. I'm not judging you, I have gut shot a bunch of animals over the years, but I never thought to blame a bullet for my mistake.
Is it to much to ask for good expansion and a pass through? I'm not blaming the bullet just explaining there better options

Another thing:

If the eldx bullet is terrible inside of 500y, what do you imagine it does after that? It doesn't get faster or more lethal. There is no magic there. At 501y it's going to put even less energy into a gunshot deer, so the range has nothing to do with this situation.
Yeah your experience level of killing animals is starting to look low .soft bullets like eldx shine at distance where there velocity has slowed down so they stay together, close in at higher velocity they tend come apart without getting good penetration much less a pass through

Anytime you take a shot at an animal something out of the norm can happen.I shot at a moose no further than 60 yards away.He was standing in alder brush and I thought I had a clear poke through it.I was using my BLR in 358 Win shooting 250 grain Speer bullets.The moose took off like a greyhound dog.I thought for sure I had hit him behind the shoulder.When I approached were I shot at him I found a alder branch about as thick as my thumb partially clipped off .The bullet made a left turn and was buried in a swamp hammock.So I never hit the Bull.Does that make Speer bullets junk?Me, I think stuff happens you can`t explain.Evertime you shoot,you want to make a clean fast kill,but it does not always work out.I ate my tag that year,but still had the opportunity and was grateful for that.No two people will probably get the exact same results using a particular brand of bullet,but that does `nt mean the bullets are bad.JMHO,Huntz

Yeah your experience level of killing animals is starting to look low .soft bullets like eldx shine at distance where there velocity has slowed down so they stay together, close in at higher velocity they tend come apart without getting good penetration much less a pass through
That is your experience with them I guess. After this season, I've got to be at more than 20 kills with the 143 eldx between cm and prc, and they kill just fine. If a bullet doesn't expand at all, straight up fmj bullet through both lungs and that animal dies within a few hundred yards. With minimal expansion they die much closer. If you are hunting in a deer stand in thick timber and all of your shots are within 50y, there are better options. Questioning the number of animals I've killed is comical. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that you'd like to wager that I have killed exponentially more deer than you have. People who are inexperienced worry too much about the details. Pop those air balloons and they die. I shoot them because they expand all the way down to 1,600fps, which is what I want. If you can't shoot, and you think a bullet can save you, you are the problem.

Sounds like a lot of people are having problems with their Hornady 143 gr eldx. I agree it's a junk bullet and shouldn't be used for hunting. I will take all of those junk bullets. Please PM me I will dispose of it properly for you plus I will pay the shipping to Hawaii. You can thank me later!! Aloha

That is your experience with them I guess. After this season, I've got to be at more than 20 kills with the 143 eldx between cm and prc, and they kill just fine. If a bullet doesn't expand at all, straight up fmj bullet through both lungs and that animal dies within a few hundred yards. With minimal expansion they die much closer. If you are hunting in a deer stand in thick timber and all of your shots are within 50y, there are better options. Questioning the number of animals I've killed is comical. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that you'd like to wager that I have killed exponentially more deer than you have. People who are inexperienced worry too much about the details. Pop those air balloons and they die. I shoot them because they expand all the way down to 1,600fps, which is what I want. If you can't shoot, and you think a bullet can save you, you are the problem.
I'm not expecting a bullet to save me moron and yeah doubt you have killed any where near the deer I have , I'm old as hell and killed around 20 deer a year for most of my life and most have been way out there .I don't expect a bullet to save me but I would like a good blood trail to help my old eyes with the recovery

I'm not expecting a bullet to save me moron and yeah doubt you have killed any where near the deer I have , I'm old as hell and killed around 20 deer a year for most of my life and most have been way out there .I don't expect a bullet to save me but I would like a good blood trail to help my old eyes with the recovery
You play the same song every time. You are 40, been killing deer since you were 9. "Moron" is a cute touch. You quoted my post and drug me into your sensitive world, now I've hurt your feelings. Listen, life is difficult enough without picking fights that your tender ego can't handle. Just go on about your day. I live in L zone in TN. We can kill over 300 deer a season here legally, now I've never killed 300 deer in a year, or even 100 in a year, but I've killed many more than you. I've killed enough that I don't need any of your wisdom on the matter. Shoot them where you are supposed to and they die. A good bullet makes it fast, but placement is what matters most. I wish you guys who complain about these bullets would realize that almost all of your stories about bad performance are based on an animal that you didn't recover. You have no idea if or where you hit the deer, so it must be the bullet right? Or you recovered one 20y away from where you shot, but it didn't expand. If this shoe fits, you are the problem, not the bullets.

You play the same song every time. You are 40, been killing deer since you were 9. "Moron" is a cute touch. You quoted my post and drug me into your sensitive world, now I've hurt your feelings. Listen, life is difficult enough without picking fights that your tender ego can't handle. Just go on about your day. I live in L zone in TN. We can kill over 300 deer a season here legally, now I've never killed 300 deer in a year, or even 100 in a year, but I've killed many more than you. I've killed enough that I don't need any of your wisdom on the matter. Shoot them where you are supposed to and they die. A good bullet makes it fast, but placement is what matters most. I wish you guys who complain about these bullets would realize that almost all of your stories about bad performance are based on an animal that you didn't recover. You have no idea if or where you hit the deer, so it must be the bullet right? Or you recovered one 20y away from where you shot, but it didn't expand. If this shoe fits, you are the problem, not the bullets.
Wow sensitive marshmallow. Where I live you could kill 2 bucks a day for the eintire season which starts in late July in the south region and ends in March in the north region.I don't care if you have killed more deer than me but I highly doubt it .I'm guessing you have never lost a deer right ? Shot placement is the most important with out a doubt but you still need good expansion and a blood trail to follow If the deer runs .I use to have a blood tracking dog and I have seen some crazy stuff , you seem like you haven't seen much to be honest , I doubt you have killed more than 10 deer

Wow sensitive marshmallow. Where I live you could kill 2 bucks a day for the eintire season which starts in late July in the south region and ends in March in the north region.I don't care if you have killed more deer than me but I highly doubt it .I'm guessing you have never lost a deer right ? Shot placement is the most important with out a doubt but you still need good expansion and a blood trail to follow If the deer runs .I use to have a blood tracking dog and I have seen some crazy stuff , you seem like you haven't seen much to be honest , I doubt you have killed more than 10 deer
Where do you live?

You can kill 500 bucks a year where you live? Where is this place? If that is even 10% true I'll be shocked. I killed more than ten deer in 2021, and our season ended the second Friday in January. I've lost plenty of deer, plenty. Bad shot placement will cause that.

So, it says you're from Florida. I just checked the regs. You are either a poacher or a liar.

I know which one it is. ;) You have no idea what you're talking about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-164458_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-164458_Chrome.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 95
Gosh, I thought if you shot a deer with a creed it was already packaged and wrapped when you got to it!!!! I will add my 2 cents. The OP had some bad luck. Speed kills. I have no use for a creedmoor. 260 remington refreshed. I have lost game from too soft of a bullet but never from one too hard. This last fall I am a smith so I trued and put a lilja 8 twist on a model 70 I lengthened to 3.6. 6.5x300 win mag improved. 3350 with a 140. Just a whitetail right? Shoulder blade at 300 and that is as far as a 142 ABLR got. Never use them again. Coyote bullets from now on. VERY effective on them. The bullet smacked the buck hard enough it was finished but I like 2 holes for blood to run out of. Next year it will be a 140 woodleigh or a partition. Whichever the rifle likes better. This is my second bad experience with a ABLR. The first was a standard 280 with the 150 at 3000. Shot a spike for meat at 200 yards through the ribs and it stayed inside!! JUNK So give me a standard bullet that can bull through. Everyone else can have the tipped bullets. I will make an exception for the standard accubond for medium game. And the new federal long range bullet looks good.

Last edited:
So, it says you're from Florida. I just checked the regs. You are either a poacher or a liar.

I know which one it is. ;) You have no idea what you're talking about.
That has been the regulation for ever until 2019 or 2018 where they changed the regulations to 5 deer a year but I hunt multiple states like most Floridians.If you had decent reading comprehension you of would seen where I said COULD kill not can kill 2 bucks a day for the entire season