162 ELD-M performance

MAD10

Update on the 162 eld-M ….

9 days solo in the Maroon Bells Wilderness - right up the road from my house. Hard to get Early season rifle tag above timberline wilderness hunt.

"SENT IT" 840 yards, 17º slope angle - I was at 10,700 buck was at 11,500 hiding in a southwest facing jungle. He gave me a quartering away shot and I slipped the 162 ELD M in my 7mm 08 between the last two ribs angling towards the off shoulder. Bullet entrance was a 2" hole under the hide - it destroyed virtually all vital organs except the heart. He made it 10 yards before piling up and zero meat loss from fragmentation. Ave. MV 2738 / ES 6

Attachments

• 20200920_074251.jpg
    20200920_074251.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,196
Last edited:
Congratulations--great buck and great shot. I've backpacked the Maroon Bells loop but never with a tag in my pocket. We saw a few deer and tons of elk, and I actually helped a hunter with a mountain goat tag locate some goats we had seen the previous evening. Getting a deer out and over some of those 12k ft passes is not an easy feat either, so congrats on the hard work and successful hunt.

That has to be a rewarding feeling to accomplish a feat like that. Congratulations on a positive outcome. I'm impressed by your cartridge selection. I don't hear a lot about it being used for LR, but only goes to reason it should be considering its lineage and make up (i.e. 308 spawn and 7mm BC's).
I Googled the Maroon Bells and wow! what a beautiful place! You are a blessed man.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.