Hornady 30 cal 225match

wildchild

Does anyone know anything about his bullet?
My phone conversation with Hornady 2day gave me the info that there being built within the next week and will be distrubuted to what sounds like priority list of Midway, graff and sons and Natchez shooting supplies had the longest backorder list and should expect to be on the shelves by end of month to mid March.
My original phone call was to see what twist was needed and the tech couldnt tell me couse he had to find out what length the bullets were! So if anyone has more info that he did that be great!
Ordered a Benchmark 11 twist 3 groove, but the teck figured a 10 at least bein the 208 are marginal in a 11.

i'm curious why you would order an 11 twist when you say the 208's are marginal with an 11? and why a 3 groove? personally i don't think i'll ever get less than 5 lands. i thought that 3 groove was pretty well just a fad and not proven to be better for anything.

i'm curious why you would order an 11 twist when you say the 208's are marginal with an 11? and why a 3 groove? personally i don't think i'll ever get less than 5 lands. i thought that 3 groove was pretty well just a fad and not proven to be better for anything.
Well for one I never trust things one person says, kinda why I asked the questions i did and I order the barrel first then seen the bullets so I need to prolly change the order. personally my experiances with 3 grooves as proven to me to stick with em.

I didnt hear it one the phone, but heard .660 somewhere ad yes thats the bullet.

Wildchild,

Thanks for this.

I ran it though PointBlank Ballsitics Software and out to 1,000 yards (the limit of PointBlank) the 208 Gr A-Max (BC =0.648) seems to perform as well as the 225 gr.

Anyone know of a "free" downloadable ballistics software that goes beyond that?

Cheers,
Magnum

I would say that the Hornady match jacket would be too thick for this projectile to be used for LR hunting.

Magnum,
The old A-Max with the plastic tip is a different beast, as were some of the old match bullets with thinner jackets.

The new Hornady AMP (Advanced Manufacturing Process) Bullet Jackets seem to be thicker and stronger than previous jackets. Even the A-Max now has this new jacket.

It will be interesting to see how the A-Max now performs on game with this new jacket. Time will tell but at least the A-Max retains the plastic tip to initiate expansion. The match bullets do not.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.