Hornady 225 ELDM G1/G7?

Totoro

Hey fellas, in your rifles and loads; how accurate are the G1/G7 BC numbers for whatever ballistic tool you are using?

If not, how much of a correction are you making?

Thx

If you look up Hornadys mach numbers, they are divided into three velocity ranges. Use the lower one but I had a 10 twist so it may ght be a little better with more twist.

Great suggestion Jeffery Van Zandt. BCs are only accurate at one velocity.....usually listed by bullet manufacturers at the velocity of their optimum BC measurement for Marketing purposes. Using banded velocity BCs....if your ballistic solver accepts them.....adds some measure of improved accuracy. However, the whole concept of BC is comparing subject projectile performance to a standard projectile.....always error inducing. Why not use the Custom Drag Curve developed for the specific projectile and eliminate the comparsion error???

Great suggestion Jeffery Van Zandt. BCs are only accurate at one velocity.....usually listed by bullet manufacturers at the velocity of their optimum BC measurement for Marketing purposes. Using banded velocity BCs....if your ballistic solver accepts them.....adds some measure of improved accuracy. However, the whole concept of BC is comparing subject projectile performance to a standard projectile.....always error inducing. Why not use the Custom Drag Curve developed for the specific projectile and eliminate the comparsion error???
that is what I ment I think they have a custom curve for that round ? then true your round at the right range and you will have it

Here is what applied Ballistics says the 225 eld-m produces for BC, I believe they average from 3000 to 1500 fps or something similar. With all the AB bc's I have used, they have been very accurate. BC's are listed toward bottom of pics.

Screenshot_20190513-120731.png
Screenshot_20190513-120739.png

And yes, as you see applied ballistics has a custom drag curve for that bullet available for purchase. That is your best bet, mainly if you plan on shooting ELR or through trans sonic range.

If you're not shooting through transonic you should be able to tweak the bc right to where you need it to be.
Hornady 4dof calculator works great, basically a custom drag profile

Ive been having issues with the 4dof calculator with this bullet lately.

I found if you go to hornady website and use that calculator it gives you different drops versus the app. I called and they were unsure/unaware of this.

Example
1500 yards all inputs the same
4dof app 11.55mils
Website 12.39 mils
Shooter app .368g7 12.4 mil

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.