Hornady 208 A Max for 300 RUM???

Jim Oliver

Guys,
I did a search but No Joy.......also have asked for some data from Hornady but nothing yet.

Have any of you tried the 208 A Max in the 300 RUM? How about some starting data?

Thanks,
Jim

I haven't tried them yet, but I would just use 210 Data, and work up slowly. I can't imagin you could find any trouble that way. I know that there are a lot of guys using them in compitition, so they shoot. No idea how they work on game at RUM speeds. But......I never worry about muzzle velocity anyway...... I look at what the perfomance on game would be at much lesser speeds. I have yet to shoot an animal at "muzzle" velocity!! :D :D My guess would be they are A O K .

JMO, of course.

Jim,

I dont have any data yet on the 208 AMAX, sorry, but I am shooting some this weekend if weather permits and will fill you in on my results if they will help. I have tried 210 VLD Bergers, 220 SMK's and 200 Nosler Accubonds, adding this AMAX to the mix, as the gunsmith I used to build my 300 RUM spoke very highly of them. I am using Retumbo in my first batch, as this has been very consistent for me with the other bullets. Sierra lists 92.0 as max for a 200 gr SMK, and 89.5 as max on their 220 SMK, which is pretty accurate according to what I have been seeing with my 220 loads... plus, this is close to a 100% density charge with this powder. I am planning on trying 90 and 91 grs with the AMAX into the lands. I have read of some going as high as 93 to 96 grains, but I am pretty conservative... I have read that H1000 works well for 180-210 gr bullets, but havent played around enough to write intelligently about that powder - everyone I read steered me to Retumbo and it has worked great (3/8 MOA at 275yds with the 220 SMKs). I am using Remington brass, trim-to-length of 2.840 with Federal GM215M primers and a COAL of app. 3.90". I have a 30" Hart barrel chambered / throated for 200 + grain SMKs, which allows me to seat these out a bit.

Thanks guys.

I have used Retumbo in my Sendero with good results with the various 180 grain bullets. Want to try the 208 A Max in it and in a Rem 700 with 29 1/2 in. bbl. also.

Later,
Jim

I feel your pain for trying to find load data for these bullets. I want to buy some and give them a try in my 30-06, but I haven't found any load data yet. I don't know why the load data would be such a secret for a bullet with such a high BC.

I think I will start with the Hornady data for the 220 round nose and see how that goes; should be safe starting loads. A chrono check will help---------

Don't even have the bullets, yet but when I try some I'll post it.

Jim

After making the previous post, I got an E-mail from Hornady Tech telling me to use the data for the 220 grain roundnose for loading the 208 A Max.

Shazaam!!

Jim

I would be very interested in your results as i was planning on playing with them in a couple months in my 300 RUM. Keep us posted :D Thanks.

208 a-max is an awesome bullet I'm shooting a Savage chambered in 300win. mag. varminter using IMR 7828. Just before hunting season this year I shot a 6 1/4 group at 820 yards. I also killed an 8 point last year at 560 yards and the bullet did a wonderful job. The deer didn't take another step.

300 Remington Ultra Mag

Loaded and tested some 208gr AMAX today with 2225 ADI powder or Retumbo in the US. Nothing to right home about yet. Loaded 2 at each grain from 93 to 96 to check pressure. Loaded 3 at 94.5, 95 and 95.5 but not show of accurace yet. 94.5 was the best so going further down.

Loaded some 150 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silver tips at the same time with 2217 ADI or H1000 in the US. 102 came out the best at 0.48 MOA. Still to work on seating depth. 102 grains cracks them along at 3375fps from the standard Remington Sendero 26" Barrel.

All shots at 100m and groups checked with OnTarget Calculator.

Thanks
Joel SHOEMARK

I am getting 3000 FPS with them using 93.0 of H50BMG OACL = 3.700" You will not get this much velocity with this load out of a factory stick. If I were using a factory stick I would use H1000 or RL25 and maybe RETUMBO and NOT H50BMG. I am also getting a BC of .671 in the real world with the 208 AMAX. Twist is 11.25x.

This is the bullet my 300 RUM likes best. I have not shot any game with them yet but I have shot several deer with the 178 in upwards of 3200 FPS between 338 and 510 yards. Even at high velocity they did fine. When I say fine, they did explode inside the critters. The lung/heart area was devestated. I would be leary of shooting anything bigger than a large mule deer buck with them.

I have shot mule deer ,one elk and a white tail, with the 208 amax . At lower velocity they will pass through at high velocity they blow up like little bombs:d:d . My load data for the 208 in my factory sendaro was 87.8 grains of rl-25 i was getting .602 3 shot group @ 100 yrds . Now i'm going to try some 210 grain bergers.

Jeremy,

On the elk taken with the 208 AMax, what was the range, point and angle of bullet contact and condition of recovered bullet (if any)?

Anything else you can tell us about this shot or the others you mentioned?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, i had forgotten that i shot the elk with my ruger m77 300 mag not the ultra sorry for the incorrect info.however i was using the 155 grain amax. The distance was around 60 to 75yrds. It blew up like a bomb . I shot the white tail this year with the 208 amax about 45 yrds and it passed through . I also shot a yote opening day he was like 20yrds away i know opening day but my finger was itching so i let him have it :Ddi did not expect the 208 to pass through at that range but it kept on trucking. I know it sounds crazy but i have shot several deer with the 155 amax and it blows up. If i hit them in the boiler room they all fall over dead in their tracks .i believe the 208 amax will do fine considering it will be running at a lower mv and it shows to hold together and pass through. Something else you might want to try . When seating your bullet try to seat it @ 3.600 oal and try some federal 215 m primers. Ps: Sorry for such a long post and all the typing errors i don't have spell check

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.