Hornady 125 SST bottom end expansion

doverpack12

I've been working on a load for my 10" 30-30 Thompson Contender. Finally found what I am looking for accuracy wise once I got these Hornady 30 cal 125 SST. Tried to find Nosler BT forever and gave up.

My question is I have these leaving the muzzle at 1705 fps with LabRadar. They just about touch at 50 yards and at 100 yards they are 1-2" which is as good as I can hold.
100 yards is likely max range for an animal based on how well I can hold, but I'm really questioning if they will expand and perform. Shooter says they will be 1600 at 50 yards and 1520 at 100 yards.

Previously was working on Sierra 125 FP and Hornady 150 RN but wasn't seeing the accuracy.

In my experience the SST comes apart if it hits any bone, so it should expand enough to do the best that it can. If it hits at 1500 FPS I think you'll get as good as it can give.

Have you thought about a lighter mono to get more speed and make up for the short barrel? I have a couple XP-100s and shoot 55gn from a 6BR and 85gn from a 6.5 TCU to get velocities up - based on how their big brother bullets have worked for me I have high hopes for them in animals.

Since you're using this in a single shot and don't have typical 30-30 tube mag concerns, the Hammer Blackout 101gn, Barnes 110gn TAC-TX, and Cutting Edge 100gn Raptor flat base are purpose-designed 300BLK supersonic bullets that should translate over well to a short barrel 30-30. Very short bearing surfaces designed to get up to speed in 300 BLK pistols, and those commonly come as short as 8" barrels. Those are my plan to try when my 30-30 AI TC barrel comes in.

Hornady says that, but I've never recovered an SST and they absolutely explode off bone even in the low 2000s. Neck shot on a hog was like a bomb went off.

I forgot to put it in my list, Makers also makes a 100gn high-velocity expanding bullet that doesn't fragment the pedals, it mushrooms. Another good lightweight option in a slow 308 cal.

Hornady says that, but I've never recovered an SST and they absolutely explode off bone even in the low 2000s. Neck shot on a hog was like a bomb went off.

I forgot to put it in my list, Makers also makes a 100gn high-velocity expanding bullet that doesn't fragment the pedals, it mushrooms. Another good lightweight option in a slow 308 cal.
We need a low speed gelatin test on the 126 SST.

I've shot 6.5 140gr SST and hit bone….exploded at like 2600fps.

I would think 2000fps and under would be completely different performance.

Recent Posts