Home made bullets inquery

goodgrouper

I am fascinated with the home made bullet making that the 100 yard Benchresters use. It is one area of shooting I am totally green in, and it is never really talked about here. I would love to make my own VLD's but I wonder if it would be more hassle than what it would be worth.

If anyone here is a home made bullet maker for benchrest, I would love to get a topic started here on the ins and outs of the dies, the presses, the techniques, and the specs of the finished products.

This one should be interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You got 5 large to blow?

I have a buddy that makes his own 17 bullets -- insane amount of money, time and testing involved.

I wouldnt do it even if i had the $$$

YMMV,
JB

GG,

I would love to learn the ins and outs of it too, enough that I feel I could get the dies/tooling and at least have half a chance at making a good 30 cal bullet, then a 338 cal later.

Might be best to visit one of the guys doing this and educate yourself a little quicker that way. I might try and look for someone up here doing it before I jump into it, I hope there is someone.

Would be nice not to have to wait on custom bullets because of availability etc, but I'm thinking it would take years to actually pay for the equipment to make a bullet unless you sold a bunch to help with the cost.

I think the good Nemi dies are around 3-4 K, so like JB said, 5 large to get started more than likely.

Benchrest central is another, and probably the best place to post a topic like this, several people making/have made bullets post there.

I was swimming around on that site a week or two ago and was thinking the same thing myself. Sorta.

That site has all sorts of cool stuff regarding the benefits of rebated boat tails and meplat size and polymer ballast in "light for caliber" bullets.

It also has a very long list of who is using their gear to make bullets. A quick scan revealed 5 or 6 companies here in Idaho making bullets. Some large bore safari stuff or bullets for cowboy pistols and what not.

I didn't look too hard at the prices but making your own bullets is an appealing idea.

[ QUOTE ]
GG,

I would love to learn the ins and outs of it too, enough that I feel I could get the dies/tooling and at least have half a chance at making a good 30 cal bullet, then a 338 cal later.

Might be best to visit one of the guys doing this and educate yourself a little quicker that way. I might try and look for someone up here doing it before I jump into it, I hope there is someone.

Would be nice not to have to wait on custom bullets because of availability etc, but I'm thinking it would take years to actually pay for the equipment to make a bullet unless you sold a bunch to help with the cost.

I think the good Nemi dies are around 3-4 K, so like JB said, 5 large to get started more than likely.

Benchrest central is another, and probably the best place to post a topic like this, several people making/have made bullets post there.

[/ QUOTE ] The big problem is the jackets. The best die maker is Nemi. The chances of getting good jackets in .338 are next to Nil. Corbin Corbin has vary good books on the subject. Spivey (J4) is about the only game in town for jackets, Unless you can get some from a jacket maker like the guy @ Grizzly. You will have to get setup to make jackets. for that I would call Richard Corbin and talk to him. My experience with his brother has not been good. The link if it works is for David and not for Richard. Lets give it another try for Richard"s RCE I hope that works. Nemi is really high end. you could say the best. Another is a guy in La. Bullet Swage Supply. I don't know if he has a web site but he runs ads in PS magazine or used to. His dies are good and don't break the bank ( I have two sets of his dies I've made alot of .224 and .243 bullets off of. I got dies from Dietz but I don't know if they are still being made, same with Roahsach (sp?) in Texas. The dies I have from Corbin where made by Richard before he and his brother split the sheets. I will say this in passing about Dave Corbin be vary careful in dealing with this man. Richard is a class act on the other hand. Before you do anything along the lines buy the set of books that Dave Corbin sells and read them, more than once? I will tell you guys that I would much rather shoot bullets made by someone else than make my own, because of the problems getting good jackets.

I am into bullet swaging and use Corbin (Dave's) equipment. It is expensive but very satisfying to produce your own bullets. My intention is to produce custom bullets for sale at some point. The bullets I'm making are extremely accurate, mostly better than anything I've been able to buy in my thirty years as a reloader from the mass producers. I can make any weight and several styles of 6 different calibers now. It's a blast! As for Dave Corbin, I have no complaints. The service has been honest and he'll do his best to get you something you can work with. Some items may take a long time due to demand though.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.