Historical long range shooters.

I think Hathcock,s ability to get near the NVA General undetected,and then remaining motionless in the grass,while NVA soldiers ran several feet by Carlos,not seeing him, is just as amazing as the killing shot he made on this notorious General! Carlos had nerves of Steel!
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not just their shooting ability. There is a bigger and more important variable. They were all great marksman but they displayed the rare quality of being able to come to terms with the fact that somebody had them in their sights and being able to face death head on. Hathcock and the others found a way to accept the fact that they might catch one between the eyes at any moment and came to term with their own demise while keeping a clear head and a controlled pulse.

I think Hathcock,s ability to get near the NVA General undetected,and then remaining motionless in the grass,while NVA soldiers ran several feet by Carlos,not seeing him, is just as amazing as the killing shot he made on this notorious General! Carlos had nerves of Steel!
Imagine doing that in the cold of winter time/snow as The White Death did?

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not just their shooting ability. There is a bigger and more important variable. They were all great marksman but they displayed the rare quality of being able to come to terms with the fact that somebody had them in their sights and being able to face death head on. Hathcock and the others found a way to accept the fact that they might catch one between the eyes at any moment and came to term with their own demise while keeping a clear head and a controlled pulse.
Amazing,ice water in veins individual, s!

Bell's rifle was a .275 Rigby. Same cartridge as the 7X57 Mauser, but with the designation in inches instead of millimeters. I am very fond of those rifles.
Bell's long range was measured in feet. He's famous for getting into elephant herds and shooting a big cow then running up a leg to get on top and kill the rest of them as they would become mad with rage and try to protect the cow..

Bell's long range was measured in feet. He's famous for getting into elephant herds and shooting a big cow then running up a leg to get on top and kill the rest of them as they would become mad with rage and try to protect the cow..
"Rigby For Rifles", was Rigby,s motto !

Not Elmer Keith, he was a giant A hole. Not sure about his brass knockers.
I honestly have never read any of Elmer or Jack O' Conner.
I know that they didn't get along and I've heard that a lot of the animosity between the two was mostly to boost the sales of hunting magazines at that time. At least that's what I've heard. I think I'm going to find some of their books.

Well, let's see, USMC Scout Sniper Chuck Mawhinney, M14 with PVS-2 Nam "the river crossing" 16 headshots in 30 seconds at night, aggregate the yards with hits and time for score and distance, winner 😉 Chuck was a very fine gentleman, sorry he's gone. Me, my son, and Chuck....on the range. Cheers

Chuck Mawhinney.jpg

Chuck me and Rick 2005 (1).JPG

Hows about Joey Garza from Lonesome Dove series--supposed to be a real life character but not sure if he shot at long-range like the series suggested...and Elmer Keithś lined front sight system for LR handgun--really cool stuff!
I don't remember the series that well but yes it was based off of a cattle drive that went sideways. Sorry my memory fails me. I think was good knight or something like that.

Well, let's see, USMC Scout Sniper Chuck Mawhinney, M14 with PVS-2 Nam "the river crossing" 16 headshots in 30 seconds at night, aggregate the yards with hits and time for score and distance, winner 😉 Chuck was a very fine gentleman, sorry he's gone. Me, my son, and Chuck....on the range. Cheers

View attachment 571815
View attachment 571814
I remember reading about that. That is absolutely fantastic that you actually had the opportunity to meet him.

Recent Posts