High Uintas

The HIgh Unitas East Fork fire is now reported to be 3457 acres and now is being "fully suppressed" I think that bureaucratic phrase means being fought to put it out. There are two more fires in the High Unitas, one called Phinney Lake at 182 acres and another Center Creek Trail at 89 acres.

On that great basin CC web site what are the green areas that don't have a red, yellow, or purple circle associated with them? When hovering over or clicking on them, they don't give information. The legend shows the green areas to be "Fire Perimeters GeoMAC"

On that great basin CC web site what are the green areas that don't have a red, yellow, or purple circle associated with them? When hovering over or clicking on them, they don't give information. The legend shows the green areas to be "Fire Perimeters GeoMAC"
The green areas are previously reported fires that are out. If you click on one you can get the fire details which include the dates.

UPDATE.....So we had an amazing time on the trip. I'd have to say that this has been one of the toughest hunts I have ever been on. Really high heat, very little water and lots of trail closures due to fires really put a damper on the hunt. Plus my buddy got hurt on day one, not bad, but wasn't going to be climbing up and down the mountains. So unfortunately he made the decision to head home. That really put a damper on how far I was willing to go to find elk. The only place I found any sign worth mentioning was at around 6000 ft at water, it was 85 plus every day all day. Other than that everything was very old. I think I really needed to get back into the high mountain lake areas, which were just too far for me going solo/trail closures cut me off from them. As always I learned a good deal about hunting elk and how tough and challenging it really is. I didn't even see an elk on this trip. This will be my third year hunting elk and haven't been able to connect yet. I think a lot of it has to do with me having to hunt out of state, for elk, and finding time/hunt dates to coincide with that is tough, which is why I bounce around to different states, especially when other people are involved. Part fun part frustration, but in the end I just want to be in the woods. Thanks again to everyone who has helped me out with this trip I really do appreciate it, and if I can answer any questions in return I will do my best.

UPDATE.....So we had an amazing time on the trip. I'd have to say that this has been one of the toughest hunts I have ever been on. Really high heat, very little water and lots of trail closures due to fires really put a damper on the hunt. Plus my buddy got hurt on day one, not bad, but wasn't going to be climbing up and down the mountains. So unfortunately he made the decision to head home. That really put a damper on how far I was willing to go to find elk. The only place I found any sign worth mentioning was at around 6000 ft at water, it was 85 plus every day all day. Other than that everything was very old. I think I really needed to get back into the high mountain lake areas, which were just too far for me going solo/trail closures cut me off from them. As always I learned a good deal about hunting elk and how tough and challenging it really is. I didn't even see an elk on this trip. This will be my third year hunting elk and haven't been able to connect yet. I think a lot of it has to do with me having to hunt out of state, for elk, and finding time/hunt dates to coincide with that is tough, which is why I bounce around to different states, especially when other people are involved. Part fun part frustration, but in the end I just want to be in the woods. Thanks again to everyone who has helped me out with this trip I really do appreciate it, and if I can answer any questions in return I will do my best.
Thanks for your frank response. I have hunted elk in the eastern Unita mountains (not the wilderness area) and found it physically and mentally challenging multiple falls for 3 years. I enjoy the time in the mountains, with my brother, even though we did not get a shot at an elk, in fact did not see one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts