Looking for info on the upper Uintas

davewilson

Title pretty much says it all. was thinking about backpacking in and chasing elk. i like the fact that you don't have to draw and the wolves and grizzles don't seem to be an issue.

Howdy Dave,
I've been hunting the Uintas for several years, primarily archery elk. The country is big and rocky. Thick timber giving way to alpine parks and basins. The hunting is usually tough due to low population density, hunting pressure, and the enormous amount of dense timber. I hunt Colorado and Utah most years. Wilderness horse and backpack hunts. I've never been to Colorado without an opportunity to shoot an elk.

In the Uintas, we fight / work hard for every opportunity. Nowhere near the amount of elk (70,000 in Utah, 250,000 in Colorado). The thin population seems to affect the rut intensity. The elk just don't to get as vocal without all the competition. As a rule, I invite my out of state friends on the Colorado hunts, rather than the Utah hunts. More elk, more opportunity, and sometimes non stop action.

Still, the Uintas are fantastic! Big, rugged, beautiful country! Tags are cheaper, (300 vs 500, I believe), fewer hunters, and the big one - BIG elk! The majority of the elk in Colorado are 260 - 290 class bulls. Utah bulls start where Colorado peaks. Seems we rarely see six points under 290 here.

I don't have a lot of experience rifle hunting the Uintas. The country is ideal, if a guy doesn't get snowed in. There's a learning curve with all the areas we hunt. We've gotten to where we kill elk in the Uintas regularly. It's taken a few years to learn the country, how the elk behave there, where to find elk , and how to adapt our hunting strategies. Of course, with a long range rifle......
If you decide you want to hunt here, I'll be glad to help out! I can offer friendly advice, local knowledge, a pit stop, a drop camp, or game recovery. Luck, an' have fun!

its a pretty hard hunt! it can be really fun but you might also have trips where you might not see an elk! just spend time up there find out what the elk do and how they act!
i think the biggest thing is get as far away from everyone as you can! because thats where youll find the elk!!!!
i hunt the north slope and we do alright for the hard hunt that it is! some people claim to get a bull every year! (i dont belive it)

there are hot spots up there, you just got to find them!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.