High Uintas

shamu2240

For the Utah hunters out there.....what can I expect for weather in the high Uintas in early September? I've been reading a few weather predictions that say low of 50's to high of 90's. That's a pretty broad spread, can anyone help narrow it down a bit? Doesn't seem like there's a ton of rain, around 2" predicted for the month. I'm gonna bring my rain gear anyway. Does it rain a little bit every so often or is it more along the lines of one big storm and then done? Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

Definitely bring rain gear, usually a bit of rain each day when i am up high. Last sept there were a few good early snow storms, so definitely bring the base layers and a puffy. Typical day - I'm bundled up for morning glassing, in a light long sleeve shirt by 9/10am, and stay in that the rest of the day. Four seasons in a day is common

Last edited:
For the Utah hunters out there.....what can I expect for weather in the high Uintas in early September? I've been reading a few weather predictions that say low of 50's to high of 90's. That's a pretty broad spread, can anyone help narrow it down a bit? Doesn't seem like there's a ton of rain, around 2" predicted for the month. I'm gonna bring my rain gear anyway. Does it rain a little bit every so often or is it more along the lines of one big storm and then done? Thanks for any info you guys can give me.
Definitely rain - it comes out of nowhere rains cats and dogs for 30 minutes and then moves on. Could be a couple times a day. I always dress in Layers when I am up there.

Definitely rain - it comes out of nowhere rains cats and dogs for 30 minutes and then moves on. Could be a couple times a day. I always dress in Layers when I am up there.
Well that sounds like a nice pain in the "donkey", thanks for letting me know.

Whats the consensus on bugling? Bugle before light and after dark to locate only, or will they respond during the day?

I have had them respond all day. There are quite a few hunters in some areas. Don't be surprised if you bugle back and forth with another hunter. It has happened a few times.
That's gotta be tough, hopefully we'll be far enough off the trails to avoid that. I don't want to screw up anyone's hunt either.

The high Unitas are high enough that it might be very nice and pleasant.... or it may be snowing. More than likely cold nights and warm days, precipitation is the big question. I have been in the Unitas around labor day, and had pleasant weather and have been snowed on (about a foot). There will be lots of hunters, diminishing as you get farther from the trail heads.

The high Unitas are high enough that it might be very nice and pleasant.... or it may be snowing. More than likely cold nights and warm days, precipitation is the big question. I have been in the Unitas around labor day, and had pleasant weather and have been snowed on (about a foot). There will be lots of hunters, diminishing as you get farther from the trail heads.
Thanks, I was thinking we'd be good at about 6-7 miles in from the trailhead but maybe I need to rethink that. Back to e-scouting.

Whats the consensus on bugling? Bugle before light and after dark to locate only, or will they respond during the day?
Bugles get way overused in general areas so I'd only use it if you have to. Also Utah elk hunt dates are as early as they get this year, so don't plan on much rut action until late in the season. And it's pretty hard to get totally away from other hunters up there so just be aware! Best of luck

Bugles get way overused in general areas so I'd only use it if you have to. Also Utah elk hunt dates are as early as they get this year, so don't plan on much rut action until late in the season. And it's pretty hard to get totally away from other hunters up there so just be aware! Best of luck
Not only other hunters, but scout troops and campers/hikers etc. I was in a stand a few years ago and I could see some elk working their way in from about 100 yards away. All of a sudden I hear singing and they spook and take off. A scout troop comes busting down the ridge 🙄.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts