Hicks accurizer?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Guest, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a Ruger #1 that has been rebarrelled to a 338 ultra mag with a 28 in bbl. It is accurate,staying under MOA with my hunting loads.The problem I have is shifting point of aim.1/2 to 1 1/4 in shifts from day to day.It is never the same poi.The scope is good,as it has done it with every scope I've mounted on it.I'm wondering if a Hicks accurizer would solve my problems with poi.any HELP will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Hardcase,

IT may help but this, unfortunately is a common characteristic of the Ruger #1. They perform great for conventional range big game hunting, but I simply will not use one if one of my customers want to shoot at extreme range with consistancy.

Like I said, this may help some but generally the #1s will have this problem always to one degree or the other.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info.I pulled the foreend off the stock and saw a lot of contact with the barrell.I am in the process of free floating the forend.I saw how a hicks works wiht the set screw putting tension on the barrell.Sort of like a boss at the rearend.I have decided that with the hicks mortised into the wood,it will move with temp and moisture changes.The idea I have is to put a shim between the underside of the bbl and the spring hanger.That way I'll have a little tension on the bbl,it seems to like a little pressure,but the forend will be free floated.Hopefully,that will keep it constantly zeroed.Like I said,HOPEFULLY. thanks

4. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

seems a stnthetic stock/forearm may help, just a thought
    JS

5. Guest

Guest Guest

thats an idea.Wonder who makes synthetic stocks for a #1. Maybe Bell &amp; carlson. I'll have to look. Thanks

6. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member