Hey Kirby........

goodgrouper

I asked you earlier in another post about the 7mm-270wsm(norma) reamer and cartridge but I forgot where it was. I hate when the old brain makes noises like you just sat on a whoopy-cushion!

ANyway, can you tell me if you have this reamer or if someone you know has it? Brian B and I would like to get one rollin' for an upcoming special hunt Brian drew, but we might be squeezing it too tight for the deadline with load development. If you had the reamer, it could still happen by September.
Please let me know, thanks.

GG,

Yes I have the reamer. I designed it as a hunting chamber with a pretty long throat as it was going to be used in an XP-100 handgun with heavies.

Neck diameter is 0.3187" for use with the 270 WSM norma brass with a snug fit and no need to turn necks. It is still tight enough that if you wanted to take a half thou off to true up the necks you would still have a very quality neck fit.

Throat as I said is pretty long as this was designed to be used with Richards 200 gr ULD RBBTs for the heavies and 162 gr A-Max bullets for the light weights in this handgun.

As such the throat is .2847" in diameter x roughly 0.250" in length, pretty long.

It would depend on what rifle you are chambering the rifle in if this would work.

Please keep in mind I designed this reamer for a specific purpose but the good news is that if you want a shorter, more traditional length throat (0.070" to 0.090") I can certainly ship i tback to my reamer maker and get it modified to shorten the throat. There would be a modification charge and this would take around 3 weeks to get the reamer back but not a big deal.

Let me know.

Kirby Allen(50)

ps. Took my dad out yesterday afternoon chuckin with the 270 Allen Mag. The weather was really pretty bad, had to wait out a couple cloud bursts here and there and wind was in the 10 to 15 mph range but worse yet pretty variable and gusty.

We actually got into quite a few chucks for the weather conditions and he shot 28 rounds through the 270 AM. Of those fired I only remember 3 that did not land within a foot radius of the chucks he was shooting at.

I would say a solid half of them were within 5" of the chucks.

Still no solid hit was scored yesterday. All shots were in the 1050 to 1175 yard range as he was going for the 1000 yard club. This is a fine example of being so close you can taste it but just not getting that little bit of luck needed to get a bullet on hide!!! Was a great and fun afternoon though, he was ALL OVER THOSE CHUCKS!!!

In calm conditions I suspect he will have no problems getting into the 1K club.

[ QUOTE ]
As such the throat is .2847" in diameter x roughly 0.250" in length, pretty long.

It would depend on what rifle you are chambering the rifle in if this would work.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would work pretty well for the 160 accubonds seated way out to take full advantage of maximum case capacity.

The rifle is a Sako in 7mm rem mag so the follower may need to be adjusted but the length would be great.

I tagged two chucks the other day in high wind at 1375 with my 6.5-.284. I was well pleased considering the **** wind. Sounds like mother nature was mean up there in Montana just like she was in Idaho.
Keep trying, sooner or later he'll be in the 1k club.

GG,

Yes, in a Standard Length receiver that throat length would work well. IT was designed to allow the 162 gr A-Max to be seated to the neck shoulder junction as this will be the Main bullet used in the handgun. Would work equally well with the 160 gr Accubond!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Whooaahh, here's to The Handgun. I was able to rack up 3 hits out of 8 @ 770 yds. on a 9X17" steel plate at our SHOTS shoot this yr.-- 162 A-Max @ 2725. THIS FROM 3 DIFFERENT GUYS SHOOTING IT IN FILED CONDITIONS-- MYSELF, AND 2 KIDS, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, IN UNPREDICTABLE WIND, and a 3-shot 16" 1000 yd. gp. in similar midday winds. Will be mounting Elmer Laitala's SLRM i just got in with the 36X BR Leupold converted to LER (now 20X). Should get me to 1 mile with the Wildcat 200's. Will be going out sometime this week to test it, as soon as i can get away from work/family.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.