hey guys, im new here and have a few questions...

i have been lurking here for a few weeks and decided to join because i am thinking of getting a long range rifle. heres the deal: this gun (.270 wsm) will see large NA game hunting maybe 3 or 4 times in its life, because i plan on buying a .300 wsm later on, so it wont be used too much for big game-mostly deer sized game, the occasional bear and long range varmints. i have done some research on this and have come down to this setup;

montana rifle co. 1999 SS barreled action with #5 contour barrel, 1:10 twist

richards microfit gunstock tac-driver model, i know that this will be a bit heavier and i have seen some people say
"old technology" because its laminated, but i really like the look and i will have it pillared, bedded, and the barrel floated forward of the balance point of the barreled action

i havent decided on a scope yet, im thinking a vx-III LR, nikon tactical, or a burris tactical-leaning towards the burris although any comments welcome as long as it isnt bashing-i want real world evidence not what you have "heard"

i will be doing some handloading with the help of my dad who is very good and has all the equipment i need besides the die--which brings me to my next question. what die would you guys recommend? also what brass and what would be a good starting powder? i know that WSM's like slow to med. burning rates but thats about it.

thanks in advance and sorry for the long story

out of the 3 scopes you mentioned I would go with vx-III LR or nikon tactical

I have several of the montana rifle actions pillar bedded in richards microfit stocks and have been extremely pleased with their performance. The actions are very rough when you get them, but if you are willing to do a little polishing on em, you'll be satisfied with em. I have one Montana in .264WM that'll shoot 1 ragged hole at 100 yds out of 5 shots, and made an instant kill on a whitetail at 420 yds using barnes xlc's. I like laminated stocks unless I'm stalking.

[ QUOTE ]
I have several of the montana rifle actions pillar bedded in richards microfit stocks and have been extremely pleased with their performance. The actions are very rough when you get them, but if you are willing to do a little polishing on em, you'll be satisfied with em. I have one Montana in .264WM that'll shoot 1 ragged hole at 100 yds out of 5 shots, and made an instant kill on a whitetail at 420 yds using barnes xlc's. I like laminated stocks unless I'm stalking.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey nighthunter, would you tell me more about the roughness and what i need to do to the action--what kind of barrel do you have-contour type of steel, etc... thanks a bunch, email me at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.