New here, have a few questions

mudslinger

I've looked around here on the boards many times, and have decided I want to try to build a LR gun a: because I'd love to be able to shoot farther than the normal 250-300 yards of most people accurately and b: because I'm considering a career in gunsmithing when I get out of high school next year. My parents will probably start the process by buying me the action for Christmas, and maybe the scope or something else that I'll need, but I want this to be something that I do mainly by myself (for as much of it as I can anyway) I want this to be a 500-600 yard deer and possibly elk rifle for when my 7mm08 wont work. I like to be unique, so I'd kind of prefer something that not everyone has. I'd like the overall rifle to weigh 10-11 lbs so it wont be too much of a hassle to shoot. I can practice to 600+ in a field at my deer camp so I'll have plenty of practice before I start hunting with the gun, I just need some ideas on where to start. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'd like to use a Remington action because I'm very familiar with it from my model 7.

I was just searching through the archives and found a pic and specs of Ric Horst's lightweight 7mmWSM, and I think I'm in love. That is almost exactly what I was thinking, any comments on building one like it? Ric, if you see this, could you post the weight and some group sizes? thanks.

For Ric's rifles do a search for "The twins" or Chris matthews or LSR.. His is a custom rig all the way. He list the specs on one of those posts along with Targets. Good luck and have fun. Let us know how it turns out.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A CUSTOM RIFLE TO SHOOT ACCURATELY TO 600+ YARDS!!!

I was looking to do the same thing 2 years ago. I finally decided on a stock savage 112BVSS in 7mm rem mag. I had the action bedded and the muzzle re crowned. That is all. I then topped it with a Leupold VX-II 6-18 target scope with the target turrets. I mounted the scope with burris sig rings with the offset inserts to get me the elevation I need to get to 1300 yards. On a leupold one piece base. And not to forget a Harris Bi pod A must for hunting long range.

Now this combo is certainly "unique" looking. It shoots increadibly well. You didn't say wether or not you reload? But my rifle can shoot a 3/8" 5 shot group at 100 yards. I was shooting the other day at 551 and ended up with a 4" 5 shot group. Then was shooting later and shot at 862 and made a 5 shot 8.5 inch group. Then stretched it out to 958 and made an 11.25 inch group.

The gun seems to be sub MOA out to 850 or so. And a 6 inch group at 600 yards will kill deer no sweat!

The only down side to this combo for you is that it's about 14-15 pounds total weight, which is slightly over what you want.
Picture332.jpg

Picture213.jpg

Ditto to what 7mmmag said.

Now granted, factory rifles are a pot shoot to how well they will shoot, but I have three shot groups at 535 yards of 1.4" ctc with my 300 SAUM Sendero. My rifle has no work don to it, and it won't have any done to it . . . no need. Unless you are looking for benchrest competition or really long range shooting, a factory gun with tuned handloads may fit the bill and save you some $$$. I have some really good groups with this rifle, but its not good enough for me anymore. I will be going to custom rifles now because I want sub 1" groups at 500m. I know it will cost me a lot to do that, but some day I will have it with witnesses. Just my cup of tea.

My suggestion would be to get a Model 700™ LSS in 300 WSM. If you handload, which you will probably have to, order 100 Norma cases and start shooting some 175-210 gr bullets.

[ QUOTE ]

"Now granted, factory rifles are a pot shoot to how well they will shoot"

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless its a Savage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I'm not going to tell you what to get but just to give you a few things to think about. This won't be your last project so don't get caught up in makeing too powerful of a rig. It will be easier and less expensive to shoot that way. It really does not take much to kill deer at 500-600 yards. A 243AI for example, would be more than enough for those type of shots. If you plan on using this for elk at those ranges than it would be considered light duty and something like the 7mmWSM you mentioned would be a better option. One very important thing to remember is not to skimp on the scope. I nice scope will be well worth the money especially if it is your parents money.

Good luck with the project.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.