Hey, DC ?

Hi DC,

First of all many thanks for taking the time to answer my posts. I am very impressed with all of your knowledge and your willingness to share it. At this time I am still in the thought phases of building my next rifle, and Ray Romain will be the one to build it. I was looking into the 6.5-06 Improved (a Wildcat...... Wildcat), and then you mentioned the 6.5-06 Gibbs. That put me back to the drawing board, I still have time so its not a problem. Is there much of a difference between the 2 cartridges? I don't mind the fire forming of the cases, I am looking for velocity and flat shooting. I am thinking of a 3 groove Lilja barrel, in 30" finished length 1:8 twist. Can I save a few $ and not use a muzzle break on this gun?

Thanks again for all the help,

Frank D

BH thanks for the help, the planning phase is 1/2 the fun.
smile.gif

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: demarpaint ]

Hello

If your wanting down right velocity and don't mind fire forming, go with the 6.5 Gibbs, a 30" barrel tapored to .950" at the muzzle with an 8 twist.
Use the 142 gr Sierra MK, JLK or Berger bullets and you won't need a muzzle brake.
You can get Norma 270 brass to form the Gibbs and Ray will put the 270 length chamber in for you.
Make sure when you fire form that you seat the bullets far out in the case neck and HARD into the lands so it forces the base of the case back against the bolt face.
There are other ways to fire form and Ray will explain when your rifle is finished.

Good luck
You will be amazed at the productivity of that round. It is a flat shooter that will stay right with a 264 Mag

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Hi DC, and thanks in advance,

I am still searching for a 700 Action in Stainless Steel for the 6.5-06 Gibbs I was considering. As I mentioned in a previous post I have a 700 BDL in 30-06 I was considering for a donor rifle, but I have my heart set on Stainless Steel. I had posted on a few boards for a Stainless Steel Long Action 30-06 prefered, and the best I can come up with is one with the Detachable Magazine. I read these were not the best because of feeding issues etc.

Once again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank D
confused.gif

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: demarpaint ]

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: demarpaint ]

demarpaint, something to consider is to use the action you already have with the correct bolt face and have it refinished along with the barrel with a nonrusting finish such as teflon coat or some of the others. If you like the color of the stainless, I think there are some finishes out there that is very similar that would go great with a stainless barrel. Check around on the internet and you`ll probably find some information if interested.
Hope the best with your new project. Warren

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.