Here We Go Again! I need to build a Mule Deer Rifle

I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!
Oh yea, going to same place this year!

I have three empty American Rifle Company SHORT actions and that is what I'm using!!!
If you handload I would suggest a 6.5x55 Swede. I have used one for years. It has a 1/8 twist and I shoot BTHP bullelts with a 24 inch barrel. It can be used for long range or short with no problem. It has not failed me yet.

If you hand load I would suggest the 6.5x55 Swede. I have one with a 1/8 twist, 24 inch barrel, and I use 140 gr BTHP bullets. It can be used at long distances or short and the recoil is so light your mother could shoot it. It has less recoil than a .223. You can still find Hornady 140 gr. SST bullets off the shelf for it. It is very easy to tune and if you go up to a 160 bullet you can take most any animal on the North American continent with it.

Let's consider the objectives:
Short Action
Reloads but factory ammo is a plus
Mule Deer within 400 yards
Recoil sensitive due to injury
Does not want a 308

I personally would go with 7 SAUM as HuntnPack recommended and forgo the factory ammo. 7-08 will do everything you need.
Might add 6.5 Creed to the no-fly list, I might gag if I had to tell someone that is what I was shooting.
I have a couple of rounds to study up on since things started now:
1) .277 Sig
2) 6.5 PRC- suggested by my Gsmith
3) .270 or 7mm wsm
4) 284 winchester
5) 7 SAUM

It's .014 more than your .270, both based on 30-06 case. Both noticeably more recoil than your adequate 6cm.
Not true. Diameter is only .007" difference. The 284 win is not based on a 30-06. The only similarity of the 284 win and 30-06 is the same bolt face.

The 284 is a great mid size cartridge even if it's the wrong diameter by .007" 😂 my dad has a 284 win and it shoot great. The problem is that brass has been non existent since he had it built 2 years ago. Most of the companies have suspended making it since everyone wants their creedmoor brass that probably brings in a higher profit margin.

After seeing your time crunch for this year I'd stick with your 6 and work on building a new rifle for next year.

Not true. Diameter is only .007" difference. The 284 win is not based on a 30-06. The only similarity of the 284 win and 30-06 is the same bolt face.

The 284 is a great mid size cartridge even if it's the wrong diameter by .007" 😂 my dad has a 284 win and it shoot great. The problem is that brass has been non existent since he had it built 2 years ago. Most of the companies have suspended making it since everyone wants their creedmoor brass that probably brings in a higher profit margin.

After seeing your time crunch for this year I'd stick with your 6 and work on building a new rifle for next year.
You're correct. I was thinking of the 280 rem 🤦🏻‍♂️

I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!
Oh yea, going to same place this year!

I have three empty American Rifle Company SHORT actions and that is what I'm using!!!
Only answers in my mind are 6.5 PRC and 308.

308 probably the best inside of 400 yards for muleys. Most efficient out of a short barrel, lot's a versatility, can launch fast 137 grain hammers to 180 grain partitions and bigger, get factory ammo anywhere, and won't really get surpassed by 7-08 or anything so long as you are shooting 400 and in.

If you plan on shooting longer distances or want to take the gun on an occasional elk hunt, go 6.5 PRC and don't look back. Obsoleted the 6.5 manbun, relatively low recoil, brass is easy to get. Less efficient in a short bbl, but my 18 inch PRC outshoots the 24" creed easy.

I thought you said this needs to be built with Short Action? The 270 win and the 284 Win are both long actions. The 270WSM and 7mmWSM will work. A 6.5PRC in actuality should built on a medium or long action also for optimal performance and usability. If you want to build on a Short Action and you have a magnum bolt face then you should look at the 6.5SAUM or 7SAUM or one of the WSMs. If you want the easy road you do a 7-08 but it won't reach out there with heavier bullets like the SAUMS or WSMs. What bolt face is on the 3 short actions you stated you have that you want to use?

"I have three empty American Rifle Company SHORT actions and that is what I'm using!!!"

Last edited:
So, for s&g
Short action
Standard bolt face
Low recoil
Not a 6.5 creed

270 - nope (long action)
6.5x55 - nope can't fit in short action
Short mags - nope (recoil)
260 and 7mm08 - yep with 120 NBT or TTSX
22 and 6 and 25 creed - yep
308 with the 130 TTSX

Last edited:
308 is the easy button here. With some of the quality 150 projectiles out there now you can push 3k FPS safely from a 22"-24" barrel, if you reload. That will take you out to 500-550 yards easily. Numerous quality brass makers also. Cheap to shoot also and numerous quality factory ammo offerings.

Or the 7-08 is right there also.

Now .284 Win is looking good on Saami.
Anybody with experience?
Yep. Got 1 on a short action, one on a long action and a 6.5-284 on a short action. Oh, and a 6-284 on a short action. Since you mentioned SAAMI, I would suggest that you look at the throat lead angle and know what you'll be getting without a custom reamer. I could write you a book here on the 284 and its variants, but I won't. I'd also look at load data and see what you'll gain as compared to a 7-08 as compared to the increase in expense. To get the extra performance out of a 284, you have to have a longer barrel to burn the extra powder, which it seems you really don't want. And yes, you can notice the difference in recoil. Remember the KISS method like I mentioned before.
It sounds like you should just build a 6.5 man bun, take your whoopin' and be happy. 😁

Last edited:
308 is the easy button here. With some of the quality 150 projectiles out there now you can push 3k FPS safely from a 22"-24" barrel, if you reload. That will take you out to 500-550 yards easily. Numerous quality brass makers also. Cheap to shoot also and numerous quality factory ammo offerings.

Or the 7-08 is right there also.
Just did a load up with my 20" 308 and a 135gr Hammer at 3124 FPS. That is good for your 500+ range. Easy on the shoulder too.

Recent Posts