Here We Go Again! I need to build a Mule Deer Rifle

Boatninja

I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!
Oh yea, going to same place this year!

I have three empty American Rifle Company SHORT actions and that is what I'm using!!!

Last edited:
My opinion would be a 6.5 SAUM with a 20" barrel and 1:8 twist and with Unknown Munitions short action mag COAL of 3.00" pushing the 156s at 3k would be a great mule deer round. I use a 26" barrel and achieved 3200 with RL26.
7mm-08 with the 150 eldx would be a great mule deer rifle, less recoil and possible off the shelf ammo.
270 WSM with a 1:8 twist barrel and 170 berger EOL is an all round deer/elk rifle. But if you are wanting to shoot out to 400 yards in a short action for deer, the 7mm-08 is a superb choice for ammo availability, recoil sensitivity and knock down power.

You already have the rifle you're describing. The 6 creed will handle all deer sized game very well to 400 yards. Some factory ammo is available but a large selection of bullets are available for handloading. If elk is in the mix it would be hard to pass up a 7mm-08 or 308 given your criteria.