Help

Aking

i have been having some issues with my 300 weatherby, the first time was during hunting season i shot at a deer (yes i missed) and when i ejected the shell there was a hole through the primer. I then sent in the gun to weatherby to have it inspected for issues. Long story short they weren't very helpful. l then took it to a local gunsmith who could find nothing wrong with it. He did suggest to maybe try a different case lot of ammo. so i did and after 10 or so shots it did it again. This time the hole was much more noticeable and was a hard bolt lift.

At this point i am very disapointed with Weatherby, i called my gunsmith and he says i need to contact weatherby but they were not helpful last time. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think it is a gun problem or a ammo problem?

Sounds like an ammo problem, but can't be sure yet. Do the other primers look normal? Pics of both good and bad may be of help. What brand of ammo? I'm not even sure if anybody loads weatherby besides weatherby. Maybe norma.

This is the shot from today there is no huge pressure signs on the other bullets

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 66
Three things come to mind: IF it checks out as mechanically ok, clean and properly head spaced I would check the following...
1. Bolt thrust. The chamber has oil or residue that needs to be removed. I've seen this in rifles that shot factory ammo perfectly then exhibited the same results next time to the range with the same box of ammo. Usually after a good cleaning and an extended standup stay in the safe... Clean and degrease the chamber and make sure it is free of any oil or residue.
2. Is your firing pin damaged, too long, chipped or otherwise rough? Any damage creates a point of unequal stress at firing on the primer which can cause primer piercing failure. If you are not sure take it to another reputable gunsmith before shooting it again...
3. If your rifle checks out as fully GTG it is an ammo problem. Your ammo could just be over pressure. Do not shoot any more of it. Ammo manufacturers can and do make mistakes (not often, but it happens google it... Another great reason to reload) Take one apart and weigh the powder charge, measure the brass length and check the case in a case size gauge, your gunsmith can do this if you don't have one (you should) it maybe too long or short. Weatherby headspaces off the belt, but an over-sized case can also cause bolt thrust. Over length brass can make release pressure substantially higher and also cause your issue. Call the manufacturer with the lot information and powder charge information at hand. They won't tell you anything about what the powder it is, what the charge weight is supposed to be, so don't bother asking. They may even send you a certificate for more ammo or some merchandise if you are nice.

Check your firingpin head, does it have a chunk taken out which is creating a point ?? Other than that it's just pressure and really won't bother anything other than you thinking about it...Don't get too overly excited..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.