Help

graybullet

I hope this is the correct page for this post. My dad has had shoulder surgery and can't handle the recoil from his 300WM. He will be hunting whitetail deer out to 300 yards. Could some of you recommend a caliber? No wildcats please, need to be able to purchase ammo over the counter.

Even if he gets a 243, 308 or a 270, etc... Have him still get a Limbsaver.
AirTech Precision-fit Recoil Pad | LimbSaver

I have one on every rifle and shotgun I own. They have made a lot of money from me and most likely will receive even more going forward.

I also use the slip on Limbsavers for any firearm that they don't make a custom fit one for.

My 60lb very skinny son isn't scared to shoot my 30-06, Mosin Nagant, 303 British, etc with a Limbsaver on them.

I'm not a small guy. I have a high pain threshold. But for $30 per gun, why not make them so much more comfortable?

Guys like to brag about how much recoil they can handle. Well I think most adult men can handle quite a lot of recoil if they needed too. But no body brags about how hard of a pillow they can sleep on...

I enjoy a nice soft pillow and a nice soft recoil pad.

I hope this is the correct page for this post. My dad has had shoulder surgery and can't handle the recoil from his 300WM. He will be hunting whitetail deer out to 300 yards. Could some of you recommend a caliber? No wildcats please, need to be able to purchase ammo over the counter.

A little heavier rifle with good recoil pad, and brake can really take the recoil out. I would suggest a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Felt recoil would be less than a lighter .243 and would be capable way past 300 yards.
Then slip one of the Limbsavers that Engineer40 mentions over the existing Savage recoil pad and recoil may seem non existent.

Hornady makes very good ammo for the Creedmoor and it's cheap too.

A little heavier rifle with good recoil pad, and brake can really take the recoil out. I would suggest a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Felt recoil would be less than a lighter .243 and would be capable way past 300 yards.
Then slip one of the Limbsavers that Engineer40 mentions over the existing Savage recoil pad and recoil may seem non existent.

Hornady makes very good ammo for the Creedmoor and it's cheap too.

This all the way. 6.5CR, but if 300yds is the top end you could probably use a 223 depending what part of the country you're in (regarding weather and legality).

If it is brushy country a 308 may be a little better but the CM is hard to beat.

.308 Win, 7mm-08, or .260 Remington are my suggestions. Easy to reload for, factory ammo available, and if you are planning on reloading for it good quality brass is easy to find.

I second everything engineer40 said. If your Dad's dealing with physical problems that limit his recoil tolerance, it's a different animal than plain old recoil tolerance that most folks can adapt to after a while. A good buffer like a Limbsaver would be the way to go.

.308 Win, 7mm-08, or .260 Remington are my suggestions. Easy to reload for, factory ammo available, and if you are planning on reloading for it good quality brass is easy to find.

I broke in and sighted in my buddies 7-08 and those factory 140 grainers had some unexpected pop to'm. I dang near scoped myself prone.

graybullet,

Shoulder surgery can ruin a hunting or shooting experience. Fortunately, there are a couple of things that can ease the pain of recoil, allowing a person to continue the pursuit of both sports.

Protect the shoulder with a PAST Super Mag Plus Recoil Shield or the slightly lighter (thinner) version. This shield disperses the recoil over a larger area thereby diminishing the ill effects. I would combine this with a Limbsaver pad also as suggested by several.

I can suggest the 6.5mm Creedmoor as a terrific cartridge for deer hunting. Ammunition is available as are the components for reloading. This can be an extremely accurate cartridge with mild recoil.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.