Help..Wyoming Elk Zone 38 or 40?

Murf45

I've got a very good chance of drawing a tag for wyoming elk next year. I'm trying to decide whether to hunt zone 38 or 40 in the Big Horn mountains. I'm also trying to decide whether or not to hunt archery or rifle in those areas. I just started shooting bow this year, and I've never been elk hunting, so if anybody has hunted in those areas and has any good insight it would be much appreciated.

I've got a very good chance of drawing a tag for wyoming elk next year. I'm trying to decide whether to hunt zone 38 or 40 in the Big Horn mountains. I'm also trying to decide whether or not to hunt archery or rifle in those areas. I just started shooting bow this year, and I've never been elk hunting, so if anybody has hunted in those areas and has any good insight it would be much appreciated.

Hey I just joined the site I hope I am not to late, I live right at the base of the Big Horns and if I where to choose one of the areas it would be area 40 (Cedar Creek) it has some pretty good bulls. As far as Bow or Rifle I would take the rifle season, alot of that area is winter ground for the Elk. It is much Lower in Elevation than 38.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Are you able to hunt most of that area during rifle season, or does the snow get so deep they close the roads. I'm anticipating drawing the tag for the 2011 season, and I was going to go do a little scouting this year and try to get a feel for the area. I was also looking at some area's in 41. Would you know anything about that area? I was also wondering if it would be possible to pack out and tent in some of those areas, or would the weather be a little to dicey?

Yeah the weather wont be a problem other than the occasional snow storm. If the snow gets deep it wont last very long. Area 41 is good area as well more roads to hunt. So in turn you get more people in that area. Area 40 has more area less accessible unless you go on foot or horse back. Taking a tent and getting back a ways should not be a problem in any of these areas. I have really never hunted the Big Horns much, I grew up in Cody and have hunted the Rockies since I can remember. The Big Horns have to many people for my blood. But I can tell you that I packed out a 340 class bull out of Cedar creek (40) for a guy this last bow season. If I was going to hunt the Big Horns area 40 I know I could at least load some pack horses and get back in a ways and not have to deal with many people. And like I say kill a decent bull.

Do you know of any places that rent horses? Have you ever hunted up around bald mountain or hunt mountain?

I would buy the archery permit and if I didn't fill go back w a rifle. NR can't go in the wilderness wo/ a guide either, I think you have cloud peak in there.? Have fun and good luck.

Do you know of any places that rent horses? Have you ever hunted up around bald mountain or hunt mountain?

Mantles out of Pavillion WY rent horses and there is another outfit in Cody. I run a pretty good bunch of horses as well. I am not to sure where Bald Mtn is but Hunt Mtn. is in area 40. Area 41 and 38 both have partial bits of Wilderness but I am almost positive that area 40 is a BLM and Forest service.

I've got a topo map of area 40, and from what i can see its all national forest and blm. Thanks for the information. This will be my first elk hunt and I can't wait. Could you email me your contact information? My e-mail is [email protected]. I'll probably be coming out to the big horns to do a little scouting towards the end of october.

I've got a topo map of area 40, and from what i can see its all national forest and blm. Thanks for the information. This will be my first elk hunt and I can't wait. Could you email me your contact information? My e-mail is [email protected]. I'll probably be coming out to the big horns to do a little scouting towards the end of october.

Hey I tried to email you but I keep getting and error that you address is invalid, or some Bull#&@! LIKE that. My email is [email protected]

I've still not drawn a tag. I'm headed out to wyoming for an antelope hunt then scout area 40 and 38 again in september. I do alot of snowmobiling in the western part of 40 and all over 38, so i've got a decent lay of the land. I'm hoping next year is the year I draw my tag. Let me know if any of you have hunted 40 or 38 and had any luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts