Help with Scope

I've used IORs for a few years now with no major problems.Just about all of my shooting is @ prairie dogs in full light.The fixed 16x is good enough to se in the moonlight for coyotes but 16x is too much power if its closer than 100 yards and the MP-8 reticle demands snow to see it clearly.Never realy had the 6-24s out in low light so I cant say but a 2.5-10x aught to be a great night scope though I have not tryed one nor do I have any info on the illuminated models?
Got a pair of 3-18s on order but again these will be non illuminated but aught to gather light very well....Timel tell?
IORs.jpg

Mach V,

Thanks for the feedback and for the pic's. How do the scope's compare with others? What is it about them that made you decide? I like the data/spec's that I have found so far. The scope's seem to have all the right components. Scope's going on top of a 7mm Sako...

Was looking for was a scope with good glass,a reticle I could work with and that would be affordable to put on every long range gun I owned.....IOR at the time met my criteria the best.
These scopes predate most of the new reticles that are available today.At the time of purchase only NF offered a reticle that I liked to work with(R-2)
Baught these IORs because they where ½ the cost of a NF at the time.In fact I traded 2 NF for three IORs and feel I got the better end of the deal by a large margin!!The IORs all track well,have some great glass in them and with the exeption of a couple of minor mounting problems have ben trouble free.
The 2 I have on order are gona cost me ½ again as much as I have in the original IORs but have a couple of added fetures(cleaner center aiming point and better ellivation turrants) that will help justify some of the cost.The rest of the added cost I can write off to keeping the same reticle that I am used too
fing02.gif

Thanks for the good feedback. What do you think of the 4A DOT retical? I'm thinking about the 4-14x56 30mm Illum. I want a scope that I can hunt with in the most minimum of light & looks good. I like the 30mm & 56mm option. I will be hunting from a deer blind with this gun.. With these scopes do you see any difference in low light due to the objective sizes?

Mach V I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks for helping me out here. We don't have a local store that stocks them. So I'm not able to go and inspect them over the counter.

I have an 3X18 illuminated (35mm tube) with the MP8 reticle. I haven't tried it at night yet but am going on a varmint hunt in TX next week that will change that. I have the scope mounted on my 300RUM and have shot it as far away as 600y. I am very pleased with the scope.

Spino,

I was hopping from site to site actually looking for info on IOR scopes and saw your post. I dithered over getting one for some time and decided to go for it. I got a 4-14 X 50 IL with a 30 mil tube, which I fitted yesterday. As of yet I have not fired it, the winds are blowing the trees horizontal at the moment. I did take some photo's

e9a23825.jpg

e9a23824.jpg

This one is not so good, I have never mastered the technique of taking a photo through the scope, this is 10X magnification.

e9a23823.jpg

I got this scope from a dealer second hand, he also had a S&B 3-12 X 56, which I tried side by side with the IOR, and surprise surprise I preferred the IOR. I don't know how that came about as I have S&B's on other guns and expected it to come out on top, but it just never happened that way.

I tried the IL later in the day and it is just the dot in the centre that lights up, enough to put it on the target and not so much as to be confusing and spoil the sight image. It is not the brighest light around but it does the job. The scope seemed to make a more than fair job of gathering light as darkness fell, but this was conducted out of a window from my house and not under field conditions.

So all I can tell you is, it looks OK, the image is clear and crisp right to the edges, it seems to gather the light OK, the illumination is good enough (for me anyway), the magnification ring is smooth to operate, the adjustable eyepiece, ala S&B, is smooth and easy to use, and I like the reticule. Plus I have not found anyone who hates them. I just hope it hold zero OK.

Hope this is of use,

John

Stormrider,

I'm also looking at the 3x18 (35mm). Haven't decided yet. Thanks for the feedback. Where are you going to hunt in TX? What are you hunting? Under the recoil of the 300RUM is the scope holding zero?

JAYBUK,

Thanks for the information! I want to ask: Do you think it's worth it to go with the 56mm over the 50mm on the IOR? Beautiful stock on the gun. That scope really looks good on there too. It's like driving an exotic car that turns heads.... What is the make of the rifle? Thanks for the picture of the reticle. It makes a difference to see that vs what they post on the web.. I can see where you can get very precision by using the dot.. Thanks for the info onthe illumination too..

[ QUOTE ]
Stormrider,

I'm also looking at the 3x18 (35mm). Haven't decided yet. Thanks for the feedback. Where are you going to hunt in TX? What are you hunting? Under the recoil of the 300RUM is the scope holding zero?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've not shot it a lot since I got it, less than 30 rounds. However once I got the zero set it seems to be holiding well.
I'm going to Leaky, TX. Just east of San Antonio. After I get back from that I hope to have a much better answer for you.

Mach V,

You Da Man!!!!

I just borrowed a 4-14x50 on Friday and mounted it on my VERY light wt rem 700, 26" ss Lilja in 30-06 Ackley. I am extremly impressed with the scope. Mounting will be a bit tricky. It came w/ med rings which puts it about 2.1" over bore. I'd like to try low rings, and believing the rings supply are TPS's, their low's run .15" lower but I only have .14" between power ring and top of Ken Farrel 20 MOA pic base.

What I'm really eyeing is the 3-18x42. Any experience with it. Especially the size of the occulare lens housing and power ring in comparison to the 4-14x50?

Big Al

Stormrider,

wanted to get your opinion on this questions to?

Do you think it's worth it to go with the 56mm over the 50mm on the IOR?

I think Leakey is west of SA about 1.5hrs? What are you hunting there? Do you know somebody? That's a long way to go to hunt varmints... Thanks again for the help so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.