Help with scope/rings

MNwalleyehunter

I purchased a gun with a scope on it. I took the scope off and I am going to sell the scope. This is what I know: it came off a Remington 7mm. I took the scope/rings off. Can anyone tell me what kind of mounting system this is? I did some searching on the internet, but I couldn't find anything that look similar. Should I sell the mounting base with the scope as well?

*Disclaimer, as you can tell, I don't know a lot about scopes/mounting, so I hope someone can help me out*

Thanks in advance, I have attached pictures, if anymore pics would help, I will get what I can.

Attachments

• Redfield 1 (1).jpg
    Redfield 1 (1).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Redfield 1 (2).jpg
    Redfield 1 (2).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Redfield 1 (3).jpg
    Redfield 1 (3).jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Redfield 1 (4).jpg
    Redfield 1 (4).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Redfield 1 (5).jpg
    Redfield 1 (5).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 73
What does the base look like?

Looks like the front is inserted first then pivoted then fastened in the rear.

I doubt there are, but have you removed it to look for markings? Bottom line looks like you have a vintage scope w/ vintage qd rings&base. I'd research things that fall under the "vintage" label. Thats how I found a coyote call recently, good ol t20.

I purchased a gun with a scope on it. I took the scope off and I am going to sell the scope. This is what I know: it came off a Remington 7mm. I took the scope/rings off. Can anyone tell me what kind of mounting system this is? I did some searching on the internet, but I couldn't find anything that look similar. Should I sell the mounting base with the scope as well?

*Disclaimer, as you can tell, I don't know a lot about scopes/mounting, so I hope someone can help me out*

Thanks in advance, I have attached pictures, if anymore pics would help, I will get what I can.

That is a Redfield base and rings. I still have one of those that was on a Pre 64 Mdl 70 with a 2-7 Redfield with the TV looking lens. A long time ago but seems I put that setup on in the late 60's. It actually worked quite well. Took a lot of Blacktails jump shooting with that setup. There are much better bases and rings today. I use Near MFG almost exclusively and the Seekins stuff.

those are just called standard scope rings . the front ring is a dove tail , the rear ring uses windage adjustable screws , to help with scope alignment . I'm not sure what brand they are , but they are comparable to these leupold ones ,I linked below . your have 4 screws per ring , these leupolds have 2 screws per ring . as "kcebcj"above me said , these could be redfield due to the scope being that brand .

Leupold Standard Rings

This is what the base looks like.

If you look at the edge of the base it will be stamped with a R and have a circle around it if it is a Redfield. Looking at the base I have here it's stamped at the frond on the bolt side on its edge. That could mean registered also but they are Redfield.

Last edited:
Those are definitely old Redfield products all around. They made the old wide angle scopes in the 80's I think they called them wide field. The mounts look like an old Redfield junior bar and dovetail mounts. They are pretty much the same as Luepold today as they purchased Redfield and the bases became their intellectual property. The give away is the screws are on the underside of the rings. The first thing Leupold changed.

That was an aesthetic that Redfield did back then made a rifle scope mount really clean but not very practical. We put them on everything back then. I owned the same scope and mounts back then and they were the way to go for reasonable price. I never liked the eye relief it was different.

Redfield made them before they came out with what they called the ultimate illuminator. Not long after that they were going out of business. My recollection is they had an old plant that the EPA wanted upgraded.

https://www.redfield.com/redfield-story/

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Is there any value on something like this? Or put it in the safe and let it hang out? I don't need it, just trying to figure out what to do with it.

Is there any value on something like this? Or put it in the safe and let it hang out? I don't need it, just trying to figure out what to do with it.

I would not say there is any value above that of new Leupolds other than the nostalgia. They are still being sold on gunbroker today.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.