HELP WITH SATERLEE VELOCITY TEST

Attachments

• coax.jpg
    coax.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 90
I don't think it really matters which way you start. Seating or powder charge. It won't shoot till they are both right. One nice thing about seating depth is it's pretty stable. Meaning if you change powder you can leave the seating depth alone and it will normally be still good.
Shep
If your chrono doing the majority of the work, by all means find seat depth whenever. But if incorporating any type target work at the same time, seat depth can skew results.
At least in milo's world

Trying to do a seating depth test in a scatter node wouldn't seem productive to me. 🤷‍♂️

The correct powder charge cures a lot of problems. IMO.
Do you feel seat depth removes both vertical and horizontal dispersion? If you do, you are correct then, but i feel seat depth changes horizontal way more than vertical.

And so we have to wonder how any factory load shoots good. Generic powder charge and generic seating depth. I mean really most factory loads don't shoot real tight in most guns. But I've seen some amazing groups from 6.5 Creed's with Hornady factory ammo.
Shep

Do you feel seat depth removes both vertical and horizontal dispersion?

Not like powder charge does.....seating depth is more of a fine tune in my load development process.

My approach is to get the verticle water line correct with powder charge then use seating to get the group smaller. I've tried both ways and just get done faster if I do powder first.
Shep

Yup, exactly how I do it.

Not like powder charge does.....seating depth is more of a fine tune in my load development process.

Yup, exactly how I do it.
Well, if both you and 25 have loads that hold waterline, then seat depth brings in the horizontal aspect.
In essence then, it makes no difference in the sequence when it is done, know seat depth, adj powder charge is all that is left.
All I said was, if seat depth is known, things look better as you go.

Well, if both you and 25 have loads that hold waterline, then seat depth brings in the horizontal aspect.
In essence then, it makes no difference in the sequence when it is done, know seat depth, adj powder charge is all that is left.
All I said was, if seat depth is known, things look better as you go.

You guys have done a lot of long range shooting/reloading, so I am curious, how do you feel about starting out with 0.010" off lands, do the initial test, find the node, do fine tuning to find the load and then do more fine tuning on seating depth? I have not done it, just have a few rounds that like 0.010" off lands and was curious if it is a good starting point

You guys have done a lot of long range shooting/reloading, so I am curious, how do you feel about starting out with 0.010" off lands, do the initial test, find the node, do fine tuning to find the load and then do more fine tuning on seating depth? I have not done it, just have a few rounds that like 0.010" off lands and was curious if it is a good starting point
Not sure why it would not, we all approach things slightly different. The trend or theme in this post is to eliminate NOISE quickly. And you can see, more than one opinion, I myself tend to shoot the same bullets over and over, year in-year out. I should probably sideline myself here.
Just pay attn to what is being said, remove vertical from your equation, it is a downhill slide. i tend to fine tune more with neck treatments than say seat depths. But i stated, i usually know the seat depth.

I have quite a story on finding seat depth, last yr, I ended up with a chamber throated for 6mm dtacs. One day I had 3 charges, 9 shots each, 5 for group, 4 to chrono. One charge, I had 9 rds of one charge that held 1/2" of vertical at 500 yards, but spread out.
I went home, loaded 40 rds of that charge, seated long, took press, die, calipers to the range, goal, to find seat depth. That is when the rodeo started, I literally clocked a dot with varying seat depths, nothing suitable.
It cost me a lot of money, I pulled the barrel that night and gave it to a friend, rebarreled to a freebore I wanted and am doing fine.
I will know my seat depth before I do anything today.