Help with OCW test

brguide

Tell me what loads you think are my node for the ocw test.

Attachments

• IMG_20160917_092006754.jpg
    IMG_20160917_092006754.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 134
I prefer the ladder to the OCW but based on your target 41.6 is the powder charge. You need to load more of it with different seating depths.

It appears to me that 41.9 is a scatter node. That would point to 41.3 & 42.5 as good nodes.

41.3 - You will notice that the groups on either side are centered near 41.3 (41.3 & 41.6 have two shots touching and a third flier. That is nearly always shooter error. Not saying you can't shoot, just talking from experience. I recently had the same issue when working up a load for my 6.5x47.)

42.5 - Again you have two touching and a third flier. 42.2 is not as obvious, but all the shots have dropped below the horizontal line in the target. The two shots touching in 42.5 are at/below this line.

If it were me, I would re-shoot and test the 42.5 node. If I were not showing any pressure signs, I would test from 42.2 to 42.8.

Did you shoot these "round robin"? What are working with? (Gun, Caliber, Powder, Primer, Bullet?)

FWIW

Yes i shot these round robin. I have built 5 guns so far and have been able to get one hole groups out of load testing, 1" groups at 500 yards, and 4 inch groups at 1200, this one seems picky BUT it is lighter. All other guns were 12 to 14 lbs this one Shilen Action, Shilen HEAVY SPORTER barrel 24", Manners EH1 stock weighs in at 9.5 lbs. I tried 41.7 gns and did a seating depth test and found just like all other guns this one too liked a .035 jump. Caliber is 6.5 creedmoor, Nosler cases, Berger VLD hunt 140. I reloaded 40.8, 41.1, 41.3, 41.5, 41.9, 42.1, 42.5, 42.8 and will try the OCW again now at 2.195 (throat is at 2.230). I have always had shilen barrels but they were all Varmint barrels same caliber. Some throats were at 2.205 which liked 2.170 and the others were at 2.230 which liked 2.195 (CBTO measurements only).

I have a sartorius entris 323 scale, Harrel press, whidden dies. Reloading process is the same a bench rest shooters, I am very anal even seating depth of primers are checked.

I too thought that 41.3 and 41.6 hit same place on target. On 41.3 1st shot and 3rd shot were touching 2nd was off to right, on 41.6 1st shot was right 2nd and 3rd were touching.

All my loads in the past with 26" barrels have been 41.4 or 41.8. this barrel may need to be up in the 42.0 range since it is a 24". I will keep jumping back and forth from load to seating till i get it right. I have tried everything from .005 from lands to .100 from lands and the BEST CONSISTENTLY was 2.195.

I just did the Berger seating depth test yesterday for my 6.5x47. Was using .070 off the lands as that had worked well in my 7mm RemMag. Wound up at .060 off on this rifle. Went from about 1" groups to one hole 5 shot group. That can make a big difference with the VLD's.

By the way, you might want to post on Practical Riflery Forums... techniques and equipment of the practical rifleman... Forums, this is Dan Newberry's OCW forum. If you post there, he will probably chime in with his thoughts.

Good Luck.

I just did the Berger seating depth test yesterday for my 6.5x47. Was using .070 off the lands as that had worked well in my 7mm RemMag. Wound up at .060 off on this rifle. Went from about 1" groups to one hole 5 shot group. That can make a big difference with the VLD's.

By the way, you might want to post on Practical Riflery Forums... techniques and equipment of the practical rifleman... Forums, this is Dan Newberry's OCW forum. If you post there, he will probably chime in with his thoughts.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the link.

I'm curious at what distance you're running the test, I usually do mine at 400-500 yards and for me the it makes interrupting the results a lot easier. Regardless nice shooting and good luck.

Only at 100. In Arizona the mirage is too bad to try this at that distance. I just have to keep playing with charge and depth till I get it. If I have to I will switch to hybrid instead of vld. This new barrel may not like the vld but yet I have not seen a gun I have tested that hasn't liked them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.