Help with ring height!

backwoods hunter

I'm ordering a vortex viper scope soon in 6.5-20x50 30mm. I want to use Burris signature rings. The gun is a rem. 700 la with a pacnor #5 contour barrel with 1 inch of shank. Can i get away with med. or will i have to go with highs. I would like to use the 20 moa inserts too. Thanks

I'm ordering a vortex viper scope soon in 6.5-20x50 30mm. I want to use Burris signature rings. The gun is a rem. 700 la with a pacnor #5 contour barrel with 1 inch of shank. Can i get away with med. or will i have to go with highs. I would like to use the 20 moa inserts too. Thanks

I would think that if you want 20 MOA then you would need to go with the High rings. I don't
think you will need the super highs with that barrel contour.

I have 4 old sets of rings that are Lo,Med,High and super high that I use to find the right
height for each barrel contour and shank length. Once I determine the correct height then I
know what to buy.

J E CUSTOM

What base (s) are you going with?? I just spent some quality time trying to figure out what rings to use for my new scope...with a 60mm front objective. My Remington has a NightForce 20 m.o.a one piece base...and I have a Heavy Palma contoured barrel. I tried my NightForce NXS with a 56mm front objective with Butler Creek covers...that is mounted in NF rings..1" height. There was significant room below the scope. Subsequently, I ordered a set of 1.125" NF rings for my new scope...this should give ample room for covers. I would think...depending on base height...you could easily make due with medium height rings...0.87-0.89".

Wayne

Well I ended up with a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 conquest scope. Still going with the signature rings. So any help there will be much appreciated. I will probably take it to a gun shop that has them and try each to get the right fit. I don't want to go any higher than i have too.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts