help with fouling?

earlcurtis67

Trying to understand why a barrel would take 10+ rounds to "settle in" so to speak. I dont think I over clean, only when I'm trying a new bullet ( three so far) I have been using Boretech eliminator recently, but started off using Sweets, Maybe I shouldn't be so aggresive with my cleaning? Gun is a Vangurd S-2 in 25-06, maybe 150 rnds. down the barrel. Thanks as allways....E

Trying to understand why a barrel would take 10+ rounds to "settle in" so to speak. I dont think I over clean, only when I'm trying a new bullet ( three so far) I have been using Boretech eliminator recently, but started off using Sweets, Maybe I shouldn't be so aggresive with my cleaning? Gun is a Vangurd S-2 in 25-06, maybe 150 rnds. down the barrel. Thanks as allways....E

Im having the same issue with my 6.5x284. It takes 10 rounds for my groups to go from close to one inch to under a half. Im at 240 rounds through my barrel. I hope someone can shed some light on this one also.

My F-class 284 is the same way w/ about 600rnd count. In mid-range, if I clean before a match I will often out shoot my 1st round 300yd score at 5&600. So now I just clean the carbon and leave the copper.

If you have a bare bore, it could take a few shots for the copper to foul back into any tooling imperfections and also any minute firecracking in the throat before the rifle begins to perform.

Also if you are cleaning with oil based products it can take a few shots to shoot that out as well.

I would take a look at Bartlein barrels Inc. web page there is a section on there that talks about break in and cleaning that I think is very helpful.

I would take a look at Bartlein barrels Inc. web page there is a section on there that talks about break in and cleaning that I think is very helpful.
I'll take a look in the morning. I broke the rifle in right after I got it, was getting very little copper color after about the 16th round, I stopped there thinking good enough. Mostly, I plan to use this rifle for the range only.....E

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.