Help with development

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bob4, Jun 18, 2015.

1. bob4

bob4 Well-Known Member

I gave a try to the Berger way of working up a load.
    Ref: http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/

I did exactly as they described, Pics should be self explanatory. Two 3 group shots each with the same grain powder and same seating from .010 off the lands to .130 off the lands. Total 24 rounds. Just wondering where to go from here. Nothing seemed to jump at me.
    .300 WM IMR 4831 Sierra GK 165 gn. Rem 700 1:10 twist/ 1oo yds

PS Please forgive the sidewards pics. I have tried to fix that but can't seem to. If someone can explain that I'll fix them ASAP.

Attached Files:

2. mkk

mkk Member

better?

Attached Files:

3. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Looks like #5 is the best out of the sample.

Not knowing more information about the rifle, this may be the best it can do with that powder/ bullet combination.

For most of us, several different combinations are tested before we arrive at a load recipe that performs best out of a specific rifle. Then over time, we get to tweak it again due to throat/barrel changes.

4. North Idaho Hunter

North Idaho Hunter Well-Known Member

If it were me i would go with test #5 and try tweaking that C.O.A.L in +/- .005 increments.

5. jfseaman

jfseaman Well-Known Member

The Berger guide applies to Berger bullets but some aspects will work with other bullets.

#5 looks the best.

Try +-.005.

Your ES and SD are a bit wide. What primers are you using?

6. Clever

Clever Well-Known Member

Bergers like to be jammed .010, they do not perform as well jumped.

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

FYSA ...

C&P from Master Bulletsmith Eric Stecker's article (same article as the OP's link he provided >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/)

Most of mine are from .020" - .060".

+1! All of my .300 WMs prefers 180gr and up and my go to powder is H4831SC with CCI250 WW brass.

Attached Files:

8. baldhunter

baldhunter Well-Known Member

5 is a good place to start.I also noticed you were loading 73.5grs of IMR 4831.My book shows up to 75.5grs as max with that powder.You might try going up a little,if you are not having any issues and see if it tightens up any.I'm loading 74.0gr of either IMR or Accurate Arms 4350 in mine.

9. barefooter56

barefooter56 Well-Known Member

bob4,
    The seating depth instructions are a guide based on what we found as the accuracy nodes that came up most consistently in our bullet seating depth accuracy testing. These are guidelines only. As was stated earlier by JFSeaman try .005 to .010 to either side of the bullet seating depth of #5. What you are looking for is a low SD (10 OR LESS preferably) which will help with vertical dispersion of the group. The ES will come down as the SD comes down. All of this testing should be done at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing for. Also you need to take maybe 15 or so fouling rounds to use on a practice target to get the barrel fouled to its "optimal" fouling point. this will be represented on the target by the bullet strikes no longer rising but clustering into a defined pattern. This also need to be done when chronograph testing also or the VELOCITIES, SD and ES values will not be accurate. Once you have found the seating depth accuracy node then work the load back up to find your velocity accuracy node. The rifle will tell you what it likes. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected]
    Have a great weekend!

10. bob4

bob4 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for chiming in.
    I guess I missed the part where we were to do this at the lowest powder charge for said bullet powder combo. That being said now makes a bit more sense in developing this way. Guess I'll try it again. I have a few powders to try.

11. barefooter56

bob4,
    Great! Let us know what you come up with!

12. bob4

bob4 Well-Known Member

Couldn't stand it so I went out today without starting over. I moved seating .010 both directions,same load as yesterday, dirtied the barrel with 6 rounds. Went very very well. In the top 2 pics the seating was moved +.010. The bottom was moved -.010 . Unfortunately my Magneto speed failed today,first shot, and got behind an approaching bullet, so no chrony data. But that's another story. I think I'll develop this way from here on in for my rifles.

Attached Files:

13. just country

just country Well-Known Member

morning, try Winchester brass or remington, 4831sc, 78.5grs, 215fed, seat to touch the lands, 165-168gr, bullets which brand shoots the best
    I shot this load for 30yrs. in my 300win.
    I prefer the sierra bullets, barnes shoots very well. with the sierra I shot a 10 shot group of .480. this load came out of a speer #8 loading manual 1970. I changed the powder from H4831 to 4831sc. Could find no difference.

for 180gr. bullets I back off .5gr. of powder. the 78.5 gets little sticky on bolt lift. but in my rifle the bullets shoot to the same point of aim.

hope this helps
    Just countrygun)

14. barefooter56

bob4,
    When you get that Magneto speed back up and running use the 73.5 of IMR 4831, .040 OFF, COAL(?)
    2.905 LOAD again and test. Check the SD I bet its 10 or less. Great waterline group. This MAY be the one to work your load up on. Keep us in the loop please !