Help with 7mm Rem load data.

@Montana'eer I setup my grandson Bergara B14 HMR with H1000, 168 Berger VLDH, CCI 250 and Hornady brass. I followed the Berger seating depth test as well, his barrel liked it at .050 off lands with 68.0gr of H1000. This produced consistent ES 12 and SD 8 if my memory serves correct, he has the shot book I setup for him. He has not been Elk hunting with it yet, but did take a nice cull buck this season.

My load using the 160's produces about 10SD and I think the last range 20 rounds was an ES of about 30. Fed Gold magnum and Hornady brass. I think I can clean that up a bit with a little more attention at the bench. But accuracy is fantastic so I don't to futz it too much, lol.

Ag9Jww3.jpg

I use 70gr H1000 and am right at 3,100fps. I think I will work up loads using the 168's and give it a whirl in my rifle, but as it stands my current load wallops the snail snot out of stuff.

qLg5w9x.jpg

I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start. I would like to reuse my brass but will by new brass if needed. At this point I am not set on anything, I just want an effective round for hunting mule deer and elk out to around 600 yards. I will be working up the load this spring and summer but hunting in the fall in Utah can be cold.
Please give me examples of non-temperature sensitive loads that remain accurate out that far.
At the same time I will be working an AR10 6.5 Creedmore out to 1,000 yards (I'll ask for load data on that one once I am done building it). So I will have the opportunity to put the 7mm on steel at ranges up to and beyond 600 yards.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pete
I have loaded for 4 7mm mags 168 Berger's rl26 they have varied from 66 to 67 grains the all shot around 3000 haven't had one not shot that load 2 brownings 2 remingtons

Yeah buddy...7RM is a nice cartridge.
Nosler data is a good place to look. Another has posted data here, but, here it is again. I like the way they show the most accurate load they got.

I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start. I would like to reuse my brass but will by new brass if needed. At this point I am not set on anything, I just want an effective round for hunting mule deer and elk out to around 600 yards. I will be working up the load this spring and summer but hunting in the fall in Utah can be cold.
Please give me examples of non-temperature sensitive loads that remain accurate out that far.
At the same time I will be working an AR10 6.5 Creedmore out to 1,000 yards (I'll ask for load data on that one once I am done building it). So I will have the opportunity to put the 7mm on steel at ranges up to and beyond 600 yards.
Pete
My load 71.5 retumbo for the 168vld berger killed elk 700 yes started 69.5 worked up to 71.5 best accuracy

For the 7 Rem Mag, I would use Hodgdon H1000 and Berger 168 HVLD. Here is the Berger Load Data for this combo, Minimum Powder 62.5 grain Maximum Powder 69.5 grain, use a Large Rifle Magnum primer. H1000 has been proven to be very temp stable, easy on your rifle throat and very accurate powder with low ES and SD. I would use the minimum charge and do a seating depth test first, I would start at .020 off lands load 4, load 4 more at .030 off lands, another 4 at .040 off lands, another 4 at .050 off lands and another 4 at .060 off lands. Once you run through those test one or two may pop up with the best group's. Once you find what seating depth your barrel likes, I would move up in the powder charges at .5 grain increments, from the minimum to the maximum, pay attention to the primer and bolt lift, if you start to get a stiff bolt, you need to stop at that point. You will probably find a couple of nodes during this test, it is best to use a Chronograph during the test to see what you are getting with ES and SD. Look for the best ES/SD with the smallest group size. When you find a load, load another 4 and verify it will reproduce with the same results. Since this is a Magnum, do not let the barrel get too hot, let it rest between shots of at minimum of 2 minutes and at least 3 or 4 minutes between each powder load. If the barrel gets too hot, the group will begin to open up or you will start seeing flyer's. Good luck and have fun, remember to take it slow and don't get discouraged if things seem to not be working as you expect. It takes time and attention to details to get everything working to shoot tiny little group's, trigger control and how you mount the rifle will be a lot of your group size.
69 grains of H1000 over 168 berger yielded me I believe 3100 fps with 1/4 " groups at 100 yds. Stock remmy 7mm mag sendaro. I used nosler cases and annealed them. Bullet depth is about 20 tho. Off lands. No issues with high pressure. For berger 180's I use 72 grains of retumbo for sub to moa groups.

It would seem, to allow for a second shot, that y'all's loads should have a cartridge length to allow for magazine-feeding? Unless you folks live in an ideal world...**** happens.

Pete
H4831SC and test 60 to 80 thou jump for the vld-h's and get the vld seating stem. If not your seating depths will vary too much. Test 60 63 66 69 72 75 and 78 thou jump. Shoot 3 rds groups of each jump. Find at least 2 half inch groups together and load the shorter of the 2 jumps so it stays in the node longer as the throat erodes.
My 243 with 87 gr vldh likes 65 thou, my 7mm mag with 180 vldh likes 67 thou with H1000, and my 270 wsm likes 70 thou jump with 130 CH's. So Ive found in 3 different rifles that Bergers like 65 to 70 thou jump, with 2 different Berger bullet types and in 3 different calibers and bullets weights. All are half moa or better. 1 factory 700, 1 model 70, and 1 700 with a CF prefit barrel. But every barrel is different, but I would still start there. Follow the groups, if they are getting smaller on one end keep going that way till they open up again. But do 3 thou increments or you may jump over the node.

I really like nosler load book as several people have posted it's data. I found in my 7 mag that it really liked n160 and imr 4350 powder. I also found that when I bought nosler custom brass to reload with instead of reusing the factory loaded brass I already had, my group sizes where cut in half. So not saying you need nosler brass but I would highly recommend using some sort of good quality brass of the same batch for whatever company you so desire. Try several powders, play with seating depth a bit and enjoy the results. It is is really fun when a load comes together.

REMEMBER THIS IS FOR MY WEAPON AND IT MAY BLOW YOURS UP!

It took me several months and about 300 rounds to settle on bullet and powder. Got best performance from RL22 but found it to be extremely temp sensitive!

7 Mag
168 Nosler ABLR,
68 grains of H1000,
2858 FPS. ES =9 FPS; SD = 4.5
Case length - 2.5
COAL - 3.330
COAL to ogive - 3.660 = .120 jump
0.5 MOA @ 600 yards, consistent hits at 1200

I'm shooting 168 VLD's on 72 gr. Of Retumbo 215s out of 26" barrel 1 in. 9.5 twist at 3080 fps
My son's load is the same out of his hells canyon but 74 grains of Retumbo for 3200 fps and 1/2 moa
No pressure signs on case but a pretty flat primer.
I'd recommend starting at about 68 grain and work your way up.

I have an old savage 110e 7 rm i bought in college. So you know it was cheap. Lol. (1979). Shot the rifling out of it. With the help of info on here i slapped a new criterion barrel on it. New stock. Loaded up multiple loads. Finally found rl26. Shoots lights out with 68 grain of rl26, 168 berger elite hunter. Norma brass cut the groups down to 1/4". 3070 fps. Fed lr match primers. Cbto is 2.734, .020 off. Its amazing. Hitting steel a 1 mile. I was glad it didn't shoot around a corner as i had never done anythig like this before. So thanks to everybody here on this newsletter. You all made it come together.

Pete
The load I've been shooting in my Remington Model 700 FS for several years now using the Nosler 168gr. Accubond LR is 71.5gr. of Accurate Mag Pro powder, in Win. cases, Win. large Rifle Magnum primers! Average velocity is 2873 fps out of my 24" barrel! I've shot this load out to 650 yds. A new load I'm trying is the Sierra 165 gr. Game Changer pushed with 74.5 grs. of Enduron IMR 8133 in Federal cases, CCI# 250 primers at 2958 fps. Seems to be a little more accurate than the Nosler load and the Enduron powder makes cleaning my barrel much easier!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.