Help with 7mm Rem load data.

I run R22 and R25 behind 162gr ELDX and have had exceptional accuracy from 100 ft to 5250 feet of elevation in temps ranging from 30 degrees to 85 degrees. Basic Federal brass prep. Savage 111 Hunter rifle. PM for more detailed load info but they're nothing special.

I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start. I would like to reuse my brass but will by new brass if needed. At this point I am not set on anything, I just want an effective round for hunting mule deer and elk out to around 600 yards. I will be working up the load this spring and summer but hunting in the fall in Utah can be cold.
Please give me examples of non-temperature sensitive loads that remain accurate out that far.
At the same time I will be working an AR10 6.5 Creedmore out to 1,000 yards (I'll ask for load data on that one once I am done building it). So I will have the opportunity to put the 7mm on steel at ranges up to and beyond 600 yards.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pete
Good luck finding the supplies needed to reload.

Hey Pete G,

Now we know why there is a shortage of Retumbo/RL26/H1000😀(All great powders for sure) Most, if not all shooters find their pet loads and never try something else, or they don't spend a lot of time finding an alternative. I stopped chasing the elusive powders/primers etc. quite awhile ago and developed a couple of different loads that consistently shoot sub-MOA in my (2) 7mm Mags. 26" Bartlein barrel, 168 VLD Berger's (.025 off the lands) various powders, Rl22, IMR4350, IMR7977 using various brass ie WIN, Nosler & Hornady. I'm now shooting Winchester AND CCI250 large magnum rifle primers and haven't found a difference (Yet). Each powder will obviously be different for your rifle, so I didn't list my exact load for each of these. PM me if you want the information.

Just trying to give you some options here. Good luck with the load development! A couple of pics for reference👌

Attachments

• 5BDFEDFF-3E43-4C6A-8264-2288EEEC1536.jpeg
    5BDFEDFF-3E43-4C6A-8264-2288EEEC1536.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 48F0BD63-25AC-4A0A-A735-3620471826E6.jpeg
    48F0BD63-25AC-4A0A-A735-3620471826E6.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 2626E4A3-C990-4B31-9FC2-63FDCCE15223.jpeg
    2626E4A3-C990-4B31-9FC2-63FDCCE15223.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 110
I want to work up a load for the 168 grain Nosler Accubond LR or 168 grain Berger VLD hunting in my 7MM mag. I just need a good place to start. I would like to reuse my brass but will by new brass if needed. At this point I am not set on anything, I just want an effective round for hunting mule deer and elk out to around 600 yards. I will be working up the load this spring and summer but hunting in the fall in Utah can be cold.
Please give me examples of non-temperature sensitive loads that remain accurate out that far.
At the same time I will be working an AR10 6.5 Creedmore out to 1,000 yards (I'll ask for load data on that one once I am done building it). So I will have the opportunity to put the 7mm on steel at ranges up to and beyond 600 yards.
Pete
1609259983908.png

More: https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/7mm-remington-magnum/

BERGER LOAD DATA
7mm Remington Magnum

BERGER LOAD DATA
7mm Remington Magnum

book.gif
Re: Loads for 7MM Mag and 168 Berger Bullets [Re: Buddha]#487064701/27/11

Dakotakid
Campfire Regular
D
So. Cal
I have shot a bunch of the 168's, my go to loads are 72.5 Retumbo and 73 grs of H1000, the Retumbo load is 3025 and the H1000 runs 2980, but the H1000 is more accurate at 500, not by much, these are both Extreme powders and seem to hold their speeds and groups in cold weather, I run 215's and oal is 3.441 in my chamber.

Pete
Temperature Stability is the key.... Guns and ammo just had a great article where they experimented with temperature stable powder in a .300 win mag- powders that would work well with you're 7mm. I've always used H4831SC, but in the article, RL23 was better , but IMR 4451 had the best consistency. They tested in extreme cold, and extreme heat. I've ordered up some IMR 4451 to test myself.

I had a weatherby vanguard that would shoot the 162 in a 1.5" group at 400yds with 68 retumbo. My brother I believe shoots 71gr retumbo in his hawkeye and the 168vld we have killed several deer with those combos all 1 shot kills. My gun would NOT🚭🚭🚭 shoot his more than once... Don't ask how I know....

Usually the Nosler manual gets me a good load but the old Ruger didnt want anything to do with thier advise.
R22 workt great in the early years but the next lot was enough different to totaly derail the load.
Retumbo to the rescue! Shoots 160 partitions and 180 Bergers into the same point of aim at 100 yards.

Sir I have loaded over 30 7mm mags over the last 25 years and and they were all accurate I have used imr 4831 and H4831 with 140 to 180 gr bullets now I like 168s they seem to work well in most all 7mags I shoot the NoslerLRAB and Berger VLD for hunting these days powders are hard to come by so I stick with imr and H 4831 form 61 to 64 grs

Pete
Every rifle is different....what works in one persons rifle may not in yours. To use another persons "pet load" is just plain negligent on your part.
Thats why there are load manuals...do your own load development to find what works best and safely for your rifle!
These manuals have data that is conducted by professionals under stringent lab type conditions and criteria and found to be safe.
There are no shortcuts to a great load....half my enjoyment in shooting is developing my own pet load and the tweaking of recipes to get that special load that just shines in your rifle. Enjoy

REMEMBER THIS IS FOR MY WEAPON AND IT MAY BLOW YOURS UP!

It took me several months and about 300 rounds to settle on bullet and powder. Got best performance from RL22 but found it to be extremely temp sensitive!

7 Mag
168 Nosler ABLR,
68 grains of H1000,
2858 FPS. ES =9 FPS; SD = 4.5
Case length - 2.5
COAL - 3.330
COAL to ogive - 3.660 = .120 jump
0.5 MOA @ 600 yards, consistent hits at 1200
What length barrel do you have ? I had great results with RL22 also but don't use it anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.