Load data 7mm rem mag

bearrug

I was wondering if someone could give me the load data for Hornady 162 gr btsp interlock bullet using reloader 22 and H 1000 powder Thanks.

Can't give any experience with those powders but I shot that bullet for several years with IMR 4831, don't remember the load off the top of my head since I switched to a berger, but it shot well. Also loaded it with 72 grs of retumbo and had great luck with it!

Hi bearrug,

I have no experience using 162 grain bullets. I do have experience with 160 grain Partitions. I'd tend to doubt that 2 grains bullet weight differential is going to cause skewed data.

I've experimented with RL-22 with 160 grain bullets. While many won't believe it, I did chrono one load at just over 3200 FPS. However, it wasn't as accurate as the load I've developed using H-4831. That load travels at just over 3100 FPS.

Here's what I'd do: I'd begin a few grains or more below max load. I'd increase until I got best accuracy. If RL-22 wouldn't work, I'd try another powder.

BTW, RL-22 is Norma MRP powder, which is an excellent powder.

Having hunting with a 7MM Rem Mag for more years than I can remember, I'm learned a thing or two. Most importantly, within reason, velocity is not as important as accuracy. A bullet traveling at the speed of light is useless if a hunter can't hit squat with it.

I'm not sure where you hunt; I hunt the Rockies exclusively. Under perfect conditions, my maximum shooting range is 400 yards. So I don't need blazing velocity. I need accuracy.

I'm darn near at my reality that the 150 grain 7MM Rem Mag bullet might just be the best for hunting all North American big game except the largest bears. Were I to hunt griz, I'd use a 175 grain Partition. But for everything else, a 150 grain bullet might just be best for me.

Hi bearrug,

I have no experience using 162 grain bullets. I do have experience with 160 grain Partitions. I'd tend to doubt that 2 grains bullet weight differential is going to cause skewed data.

I've experimented with RL-22 with 160 grain bullets. While many won't believe it, I did chrono one load at just over 3200 FPS. However, it wasn't as accurate as the load I've developed using H-4831. That load travels at just over 3100 FPS.

Here's what I'd do: I'd begin a few grains or more below max load. I'd increase until I got best accuracy. If RL-22 wouldn't work, I'd try another powder.

BTW, RL-22 is Norma MRP powder, which is an excellent powder.

Having hunting with a 7MM Rem Mag for more years than I can remember, I'm learned a thing or two. Most importantly, within reason, velocity is not as important as accuracy. A bullet traveling at the speed of light is useless if a hunter can't hit squat with it.

I'm not sure where you hunt; I hunt the Rockies exclusively. Under perfect conditions, my maximum shooting range is 400 yards. So I don't need blazing velocity. I need accuracy.

I'm darn near at my reality that the 150 grain 7MM Rem Mag bullet might just be the best for hunting all North American big game except the largest bears. Were I to hunt griz, I'd use a 175 grain Partition. But for everything else, a 150 grain bullet might just be best for me.
Yeah i just got done loading up some 162s with reloader 22 going to see how they work tomorrow, so we shall see what happens and yeah i hunt in the Rockies i live in Idaho.

It should do well. I tried RL22 today in my Model Seven 7mm SAUM with a 22" barrel using 160 grain Accubonds and got 2950fps. Accuracy was great as well.

RL22 is indeed a good powder. It sometimes gets an unwarranted bad rap. I've used it in .243, 25.06, 7RM, 300 WSM and 300 WM. It is usually more accurate than a lot of the Hodgdon powders in those cartridges. It tends to work great in overbore cartridges.

My magic spot is .015 off the lands.

I tested on a Lab Radar two weeks ago and got a ten shot average of 2902 fps and SD of 7

~Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.