Help with 300 Norma mag build parts list!

Predator 22

I'm wanting to build a long range (1000-1200 yards) hunting rifle that can be carried in the mountains of my home state of Colorado. I'm wanting to keep the weight under 10 lbs all up. I've pretty much decided on the 300 norma mag or a improved version of it. Bartlien 5r barrel 1:11 twist fluted to shoot 210 grain berger hvld's and a Manners eh5 stock.

What I need help with the most is the action(stiller, defiance, sergeon or ?) and bottom metal. It needs to be reliable and feed flawlessly. I have never had a custom action so I need some first hand experience on it and the dbm.

As for the barrel what contour would you recommend and a good brake?

Optics? I have been a fan of vortex in the past few years but I'm open to suggestions. What would you use if you were building it?

And the most important for last, the gunsmith. I want a quality job but I don't want to pay for the name just to say so and so built the rifle. I want someone who pays attention to the details even if he isn't one of the big name companies.

Thanks in advance guy's.

I'm researching building a 300Norma as well, centered around the 215/230 Bergers. The advice I'm seeing and getting here suggests a 9 or 10 twist rate. I have no personal experience, but this is what seems to be the norm..

predator 22,

I've build light, medium and heavy rifles on nearly every action available so the ones you list are good to go in my opinion. The Stiller may be slightly lighter than the other two although Defiance does make a Sheep Hunter action which is lighter weight.

Pierce and a couple of others market Titanium actions which are about as light as you can go with the concept. These may be easier to find and buy as opposed to the Remington Titanium which are exceptional as far as being true is concerned but are harder to find for sale.

I prefer the Surgeon bottom metal and the style that APA uses since the magazine release is ambidextrous and blended to the trigger guard instead of the stick-type. For less money you can try Dave Kiff's bottom metal although again it's the stick-type.

While you may not approve of DBM bottom metal and magazines, they are faster to unload in a situation that requires an empty rifle and all you need to do is run the bolt to load when you want to shoot which you have to do anyway.

Vortex makes some fine glass for the price point. The PST line is where you might consider since the Razor is significantly more expensive.

I have been using Bartlein barrels for years and I have yet to find another maker with the consistency that Bartlein exhibits. I use either the 5R or 4-groove all the time. Krieger makes fine barrels and I have been seeing good quality from Proof Barrels which are carbon fiber wrapped. This would be the lighter solution. The last four I've used have been extremely straight with proper internal dimensions which were very consistent. Don't forget to check out Brux and Rock Creek.

I hesitate to go too light with the barrel contour so I usually recommend a Bartlein #3 as minimum. Do not flute these barrels.

Gunsmiths can be a tossup since we are fortunate enough to have a dozen or more who are very qualified. I would take the top 10 from a list and look at their websites, costs and project finish time before just taking someone's suggestion. Talk with them to determine if they have a fit with your thinking about your project.

Regards.

I used a stiller tac 338 action to build a 338 norma. Manners t5 stock, brux barrel and surgeon bottom metal. Very pleased with the stiller. I have 5 brux barrels that all shoot very well. The only thing i would do different would make the 338 a single shot, since that is how i shoot it most of the time. Magazine is plenty long, i just do not load until i am ready to shoot.

An 11" twist won't cut it. I'd go with a 9 or 10 twist finished at 26". A #4 or sendero should suit you fine. And you'll want a good brake - thruster, holland, or APA fat bastard would be my vote.

Last edited:
predator 22,

The 210 grain Berger will work at the upper end of the velocity range for the 1:11" twist. But if you want to run those 230 grain Hybrids then you might want to consider using a 1:10" twist.

Regards.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was planning on using a dbm and like the idea of the release being blended with the trigger guard. Sorry I should have stated dbm.
I was looking at the bartlien 3b bull sporter contour but having it fluted to cut a bit of weight. Why do you recommend not to flute the barrel? Thanks for the replies on the correct twist I was just going off of bergers recommend twist for the 210 hvld. Don't think I will run any 230's unless berger makes one for hunting in the future.

Another question about the action. Can I use a standard long action instead of the 338 lapua length and have the bolt face opened to the proper diameter? Or will that limit seating depth?

As far as gunsmith's I'm looking for suggestions so I can look at the things you talked about in your post Sable. I would like some feedback about smith's you all have used. Costs and time lines are not as important to me as getting a quality product. Don't get me wrong I'm not rich but I do believe in doing things right the first time so I don't have to do them again.
What brake would you all recommend. I only have one brake that came stock on my ar so I have no experience with brakes for a large caliber.

predator 22,

I like the blended releases also, that's why I brought them up.

I would just order a Bartlein #3 and skip the fluting. It depends on who does the fluting and how it's done because it can detract from the accuracy if not properly handled.

Nowadays, the long actions are usually the same length (there are exceptions...) but with the magazine area opened up. Defiance uses a larger diameter bolt for the Lapua cartridges (0.750") while retaining the standard bolt diameter (0.700") for the standard magnums. In order to gain the longest OAL you can use the CIP length magazines which allow for longer loaded lengths. There's more to but that's the gist of it.

For bigger cartridges such as the Norma Mags and RUMs I have had good luck with the Badger Ordnance Thruster, it's a simple design that really works. There are others of course but I don't care for those multi-port corn cobs sticking off the end of my barrels. It's up to the owner though as to which product he wants. For the smaller hunting barrels I have used the Vais Micro Brakes with good reviews by the clients.

Start a list of each component with a description and price then study the details.

Regards.

I have a 30-338 Norma Imp. (It's basically a 300 Norma Imp. with the 338 shoulder diameter and 35 degree shoulder). It's one of the most accurate magnum 30 caliber rifles I've every built. I gain 6-7 grains over a standard 300 Norma and I just about never trim brass. Mine is on a Remington action with a PTG bolt, a Bartlein barrel, Jewell trigger, and one of my brakes. It's a pretty heavy gun at 15.5lbs with a Nightforce NXS scope. My go to load is 230 Bergers at 3045fps and it will typically shoot in the .1's for 3 (sometimes for 5) and 5 in the .2's.

IdahoCTD,
If you don't mind sharing what powder are you using for your reloads

I shoot 91grs of R-33 in 423 Dakota Brass. Norma brass is good but the Lapua made 423 Dakota brass is better. I don't get ejector marks until I hit 92.5grs and over 3100fps but it's not nearly as accurate. I'll give up 75fps for 1/4" groups any day.

It's my reamer. I've built my own guns since 1992 and have numerous reamers. I've chambered over 200 barrels for myself and probably over 100 of those have been wildcats. The basics of the reamer is a 338 Norma necked down with a .341" neck and .235" freebore (a good in between for 215's and 230's). If you shoot Norma brass you can literally just punch the primers out, seat a new one, pour in powder, and seat a bullet back in without sizing. A loaded case runs .338-.3385 typically. I do have Whidden dies for it though.

My next one will be a 7-338 Norma Imp. in a 8" twist to shoot the 195 Bergers. My Krieger barrel is on the way along with 2 6.5 barrels for a 6.5x68 Imp and possibly a 6.5-338 Norma Imp. I have 1300+ 423 Dakota cases so I can shoot up a bunch of barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.