Help with 22 Hornet

May be old school thinking but IIRC the reason was the small case capacity and the rifle primer was pushing the bullet out of the case before the powder was ignited
Going from memory or lack of it
I do know my limited test loads definitely showed a preference to pistol primers

I have loaded for dozens of 22H over the years, still own 3. My go to load is WW or Privi brass, Fed small pistol primer, 40 grain Vmax or Blitzking and 12.6 grains of Lil'Gun. Most guns it is doing about 3,000 fps.All brass is neck sized only. I have never seen a 22H that would not shoot that load under an inch and many shoot it much tighter than that. It is a good midrange load, max is 13 grains. Remington brass holds more powder than WW or Privi. If you check out Saubier Forum it has a ton of info on loading for 22H and other small cartridges.

Anyone that tells you the 22H is not capable of great accuracy is relying on internet legend rather than experience. Target squares are 1/2" on a side.

I9Oc63kl.jpg

I have loaded for dozens of 22H over the years, still own 3. My go to load is WW or Privi brass, Fed small pistol primer, 40 grain Vmax or Blitzking and 12.6 grains of Lil'Gun. Most guns it is doing about 3,000 fps.All brass is neck sized only. I have never seen a 22H that would not shoot that load under an inch and many shoot it much tighter than that. It is a good midrange load, max is 13 grains. Remington brass holds more powder than WW or Privi. If you check out Saubier Forum it has a ton of info on loading for 22H and other small cartridges.

Anyone that tells you the 22H is not capable of great accuracy is relying on internet legend rather than experience. Target squares are 1/2" on a side.

I9Oc63kl.jpg

I9Oc63kl.jpg
Thanks a million, I inherited the dies and 1500 primed cases, so I just had to find a rifle to buy, (thats what I told the Wife) found a nice old 1885 Win that had been rebarrelled and restocked, I have 4 other 1885's to go with it. Love those old John Browning Rifles.

I just set my full length sizer just low enough to resize to the bottom of the bullet.....works great! No need for a neck sizer to get started.
At some point, I'll probably have to full resize, but so far my brass doesn't seem to be expanding much, and chambers fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts