Help with 22 Hornet

My experience using a ruger 77 was that the brass didn't last long, lots of split necks. Couldn't use the 40 gr vmax because of mag limitations. The 35 gr vmax worked great with lilgun.

Wilson nk die workers well. Case is so thin just press the die with the heel of your hand. My k hornet prefers cci 400s to pistol primers and fed 205s.

My experience using a ruger 77 was that the brass didn't last long, lots of split necks. Couldn't use the 40 gr vmax because of mag limitations. The 35 gr vmax worked great with lilgun.
Was looking for a 77 also. Let me know if you want to git rid of it. I'm only 75 miles north of you.
Have primers and powder for trading. Plus 222 rem brass, 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 220 Swiff. And many others.

Another tip that may or may not apply
I had noticeably better groups with a Ruger after shimming the bolt. That rifle was sold after finding a NO.1 that shot sub MOA, and that rifle was sold after I found a Browning 1885.

Another tip that may or may not apply
I had noticeably better groups with a Ruger after shimming the bolt. That rifle was sold after finding a NO.1 that shot sub MOA, and that rifle was sold after I found a Browning 1885.
That is what I have I hope, a real 1885 Hi-Wall, have 3 others, a 45/70, 38/50 RH and a 38/55 back at Lee Shavers being rebarrelled and restocked, This one will be my plinking Rifle. for Varmits. Also have a Winchester Hi Wall in 38/55. Its One of the later productions models.

Years ago I had an Anschutz (54 action) in 22 Hornet - one of those I should have kept. Anyway, main tip I have to offer is that minor powder charge changes can have big consequences. Weigh every charge if you don't already is key with this round. I had best accuracy with Winchester 680 - yep that is how long ago it was.

The problem I found with the Ruger 77 Hornet is the bolt is 2 piece and allows the round to move around As the front half wobbles. Mine shot 3" groups when new. The fix was a guy in Arizona made a shim kit to stop the wobble in the bolt halves. Mine needed .005" shims. Took out the slop and it shoots .2 now and is my favorite 22 cal. Taken many a groundhog with it. Nailed a few fox at 240 yds too

The problem I found with the Ruger 77 Hornet is the bolt is 2 piece and allows the round to move around As the front half wobbles. Mine shot 3" groups when new. The fix was a guy in Arizona made a shim kit to stop the wobble in the bolt halves. Mine needed .005" shims. Took out the slop and it shoots .2 now and is my favorite 22 cal. Taken many a groundhog with it. Nailed a few fox at 240 yds too
Hope My Hi-Wall shoots that well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.