22 Hornet reloads?

Pally

Anyone know if there would be a problem with replacing a hornet bullet with a standard hornady 40gr v-max bullet? Thinking it would help the trajectory a lot?

Anyone know if there would be a problem with replacing a hornet bullet with a standard hornady 40gr v-max bullet? Thinking it would help the trajectory a lot?

No problem as long as you seat the bullet to the same Ogive length. The cases are a little fragile
and will not take much pressure.

J E CUSTOM

The Nosler Ballistic Tips are a much better bullet as are the Sierra Blitz King bullets.
I find it really distasteful when someone makes statements like this.

Nosler Ballistic Tips are Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Hornady V-Max are Hornady V-Max.

You may have had better success with the Nosler over the Hornady, my experience would be better success with Hornady over Nosler.

How is this distasteful? I just expressed my opinion. If the OP is going to take the time and effort to pull bullets and replace them he may be interested in getting the best results. Do a side by side comparison test of the bullets and see which comes out on top.

How is this distasteful? I just expressed my opinion. If the OP is going to take the time and effort to pull bullets and replace them he may be interested in getting the best results. Do a side by side comparison test of the bullets and see which comes out on top.
I did, for me, Hornady came out on top. YMMV

You made a statement of fact not a statement of opinion. There is a difference.

40gr V-Max over 13gr 'Lil Gun,

FYI somebody on this site said small pistol primers do better than small rifle primers. Unfortunately I only had small mag pistol primers on hand and had just purchased 1000 small rifle primers.
Something you might want to try. I will when I need primers...if I can find them.

What does YMMV mean?

I did, for me, Hornady came out on top. YMMV

You made a statement of fact not a statement of opinion. There is a difference.

I don't see any data supporting your assertion. Just opinion on what you prefer.

I ran my tests too albeit I was using the 221 Fireball as I don't have a Hornet. I had several weights of bullets from different manufacturers and put them into similar classes. I used several powders and a few different primers.

Simply weighing the bullets for consistency is pretty telling. I suggest this to the OP as a good starting point.

My accuracy tests were very straight forward. Several groups of 5 shots based on the smallest spread. Even the old cup and core bullets came out on top of the Hornady bullets for accuracy. Ran the same tests with their 180 grain SST bullets in 30 caliber, not good. I sent 14 bullets from the same box back to Hornady because the weight ranges were a low of 131 grains up to 182 grains. Never heard a word back from them. I found similar variance in the V-Max bullets. I didn't find that with Nosler and Sierra.

Powders testing was interesting, accuracy was greatly influenced by powder selection. I tried 1680, H110, 4198 and Reloader #7. #7 came out on top.

Primers made the biggest difference in accuracy. You want the mildest primer you can find for small cartridges, let the powder do the work. You don't want to dislodge the bullet from the case before the powder ignites.

The Nosler Ballistic Tips and the Sierra Blitz King bullets are the best.

Seem most of the talk is about accuracy which is great, I'm wondering about the distance will the more arrow dynamic bullet reach out a little farther with less drop. We're not sitting at a bench plinking at a target

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.