Help with 143gr Hammer Hunters in 7 rem mag

I seat all of my Hammer bullets to a depth that maximizes the bearing surface within the case neck. Most of my Hammer loaded ammo is close to .100" off the rifling.

As far as using a FCD; I own many of them and have used them mostly for Hammer bullets. However, after measuring many groups fired with ammo using the FCD and then without the FCD, I have concluded that you can't just assume that the FCD will always improve groups, because sometimes groups open. IMO, it's fairly unpredictable.

However, others seem to be dedicated to the FCD based on their experience.

I seat all of my Hammer bullets to a depth that maximizes the bearing surface within the case neck. Most of my Hammer loaded ammo is close to .100" off the rifling.

As far as using a FCD; I own many of them and have used them mostly for Hammer bullets. However, after measuring many groups fired with ammo using the FCD and then without the FCD, I have concluded that you can't just assume that the FCD will always improve groups, because sometimes groups open. IMO, it's fairly unpredictable.

However, others seem to be dedicated to the FCD based on their experience.
You have to use it as a tuning tool the same as anything else on you bench, I personally have never seen the FCD detrimental to any bullet used correctly

You have to use it as a tuning tool the same as anything else on you bench, I personally have never seen the FCD detrimental to any bullet used correctly

I've done numerous comparisons, including different amounts of crimp. More often than not my groups were tighter at 400yds without the crimp. However, it wasn't consistent across the board. The 124H in 6.5 PRC showed a distinct preference for the crimp. Some loads shot about the same with or without a crimp.

It's just another variable that's worth experimenting with.

Last edited:
Agree with Bbean. I use the FCD as a final tuning tool.
I start with 1/8th turn, get a good load (powder), then change neck tension in 1/8th steps. You'll see the group open up and close at different settings. Pick the smallest and you're done! Easy peasy.😁

Agree with Bbean. I use the FCD as a final tuning tool.
I start with 1/8th turn, get a good load (powder), then change neck tension in 1/8th steps. You'll see the group open up and close at different settings. Pick the smallest and you're done! Easy peasy.😁