Help Understanding "Clicks"

Dannyd

No, not chicks, no one can do that..

I just mounted my first LR scope

I used a program by BIGGAMEINFO to try and help understand how to dial in my yardage

My info:

7mm Rem Mag
MV 2987
Nosler BT 150g BC .493
1.5 scope height
100 yd Zero
1/8 inch clicks
Shooting at 600 yards

It shows that my drop in inches is 74 inches yet my "up clicks is 95. in my head 95 clicks at 1/8 only equals 12 inches in drop compensation.

I'm not neccessarily questioning the program. I am new to using this type of scope where i can dial it it rather than holding over with my Nikon Prostaff

I just cant wrap my head around only 12 inches of drop compensation with 95 clicks for 74 inches in actual bullet drop

Any help in understanding the information would be greatly appreciated

you're scope is 1/8' click at 100yards which = 1/4' at 200

one inch of adjustment at 100 yards moves it 2" at 200 yards....or 6" at 600

I have not run the numbers for your setup, however what it is telling you is that your gun has to be hitting 12 inches high a 100 yards to be sighted in at 600 yards which sounds pretty close I would guess for your setup. If you were to sight your gun in 74 inches high at 100 yards you would probably be sighted in for around 1500 yards just guessing without running the ballistics. You might try using jbm ballistics on the internet or berger has a easy to use calculator on their web site it will get you started till you need a portable solution.

Rather than thinking in clicks you need to think in Minutes Of Angle (MOA). Use a program like JBM (free internet based program).

Your 1/8 clicks equal 1/8 of a MOA.

95 clicks = 12 MOA.

as JUDD said 1 MOA at 600yds = 6"

So 12 MOA at 600 yds = 6" x 12 = 72"

By using MOA instead of having to count 95 clicks, you will just twist straight to 12 on the dial. Way easier.

Stu.

Dannyd: are you sure your scope elevation adjustments are in INCHES, as implied?
If so this is inches per 100yds [IPHY] and NOT MOA.
The program you're using may be generalizing this with it's clicks/MOA input, I don't know. But when I mouse-over it demands "Number of clicks required to move POI one MOA". This is pretty specific, and likely a valid qualifier of proper inputs.
Well, if your scope is IPHY, that entry would be 8.378 which adjusts the output solution to 99 clicks. That is: 1.047198 IPHY(oneMOA) divided by .125"(each of your clicks)

Kiwi, it's a bad habit to generalize MOA as interchangable with IPHY. They are not the same.
1/8[IPHY] is not 1/8MOA, 95clicks is not 12MOA, 6"@600 is not 1MOA, 12MOA@600 is not 72", and '12' on his dial(if it goes that high) could mean anything......
Both you, and thread starter, should be thinking specifically in terms that apply.

How would I find out what my scope is set up at? I know it says 1/8 per click. Shooting a 180 Berger out of a 7WSM, I go 161 clicks to be right on at 1093 yards. My scope is a 6-24x50 SEALs, with side focus. I think my MV is around 2900 fps, but I'm not sure.

Mikecr,
I'm not sure if it's measured by IPHY or MOA. I will read the manual tonight and see if it states one or the other
Either way thank you for the information

Mikecr I am aware that 1MOA at 100 yds actually equals 1.047" so at 600 yds 1 MOA is actually 6.282" At 600 yds 12 MOA is 75.384" not the 72" as I originally stated. But 3.384" is not going to cause a miss on a deer on 600 yds.
I assumed Dannyd was new to the game so I kept my explanation simple and tried to point him to think in MOA as that was his inital problem

"I just cant wrap my head around only 12 inches of drop compensation with 95 clicks for 74 inches in actual bullet drop" was what his question was.

Stu.

Still not getting why Dannyd's question had anything to do with MOA..
It seemed to me that he was initially missing the meaning of IPHY. For sure, he never mentioned MOA and there is no reason he couldn't 'think' in terms of IPHY.

Also, I consider the differences significant.
Afterall 3.384" would cause me to miss a woodchuck everytime, and the error just climbs from there.

But Anyway, now he's lookin into it and I predict he'll find that his scope clicks are 1/8" just as stated.
It might be 1/8moa, but that is less common.
People desire 1/8clicks for finer adjustment resolution, and the finest is IPHY.

Last edited:
checked on the specs

They say click value at 100 yards = 1/8"

I believe i now understand the concept in general. Simply put, 1 click has a greater effect the farther you get from the gun.

I look forward to actually seeing this in pactice .

Again, i am used to just estimating holdover with my other scope. I just sort of made a mental note as to what part of the reticle i would hold at various distances.

For hunting i always just had the gun set to 1 high at 100 and called it good out to 200. Not much need for more than that where i hunt.

But the game has changed for me. The club i shoot at has built a 600 yard range and i cant wait to use it

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.